30 days: Mark Tuan x Reader

Fandom Freak FanFics
(owner's blog^^^^)

You lit another cigarette, letting the toxic smoke calm your nerves. It was a filthy habit that you had quit a few years before, but returned to due to all the recent stress you've been under. Extra hours at work, an overbearing mother, a failed marriage....If it weren't for your three year old daughter, you would've gone insane by now. You sat on your bed and stared down at the papers in front of you. Taking a long drag of your cigarette before putting it out in an ash tray, you picked them up and headed down stairs. Seeing your husband sitting on the couch, eyes glued to his computer, you walked over to him. "Hey...Can we talk?" "It's not important, is it? I'm kinda busy right now." You sighed and walked around to the back of the couch, draping an arm around his shoulders. "Well...How about we do something that doesn't involve any talking at all...?," you asked seductively, placing kisses down his neck. He went rigid at the sudden display of affection. He gently shrugged you off of him and inquired, "What is all this?" "...It's a test...and you failed," you said blankly, dropping the papers onto his lap. He quickly picked up the papers and his eyes landed on one word in big, bold letters: "Divorce". There was a strong silence between the two of you, and you figured he wouldn't say anything, so you decided to go back upstairs. "Why?," he asked the simple question right when your foot touched the first step. "Because we're not happy," you said, walking up the rest of the stairs. He followed you up, careful not to wake your daughter as the two of you passed by her room. "What do you mean we-" "Can you look me in the eyes and honestly tell me that you're happy with our marriage?" You turned to face him and stared into his eyes, but he broke his gaze away from yours, unable to tell that lie. "Exactly." "Well, what can we do? We've tried counseling and everything. I just don't know what's wrong with us..." "What do you mean you don't know? Mark, we avoid each other like the plague. We barely speak to each other anymore, and you haven't touched me in almost a year. That's what's wrong." "Is that what this is all about? Sex? You know what, fine. Let's do it right now," he said, hurriedly grabbing a condom out of the night stand drawer and opening it. "What the hell, Mark? We can't even make love anymore? No kissing; no foreplay? You think a quickie is going to fix this?" "Th-that's not what I meant, I just...What do you want me to do?" You took in a deep breath and answered, "Well, first I want you to sign those papers, and then I want you to be up and ready to meet the divorce attorney at 9 AM sharp tomorrow." He was about to reply, but a tiny voice called out from another room. "Mommy! Daddy!"

The two of you rushed into your daughter, Lynn's, room. She told you about a nightmare she had and you both calmed her down, leaving as soon as she went back to sleep. Mark closed the door quietly and said in a low voice, "So, did you even stop for a second to think about our daughter?" "Of course I did. She'll stay with me." "There is no way in hell you're keeping my daughter from me. If there's anything good that's come out of our marriage, it's her, and I'll be damned if I let you take her away from me." "Well, it's not really your decision, so-" "How can you be so selfish? You know she needs me." "No ,she doesn't...and neither do I." "Look, just because you didn't have a father growing up, doesn't mean that you have to project your misery onto her by taking away hers." He took in a deep breath, realizing what he had just said...and instantly regretted saying it. You looked at him with a sad smile, scoffing in disbelief before saying, "We'll discuss this tomorrow morning...9 AM sharp," and closing the bedroom door in his face.

You sipped your coffee and sorted through some paper work at the kitchen table the next morning. Mark walked in, avoiding looking at you and heading straight for the coffee pot. "Um...thanks...It's good..." "Mh-hm...I learned how to make coffee from my mother, since, y'know, I didn't have a father growing up," you said bitterly. He let out a heavy sigh and said, "Look, I'm sorry. That was a really low blow, but I just...Don't you want to try to work this out?" "We've tried plenty of times. It's time to move on." ".......Fine. Let's go." The car ride was completely silent, like most of the meeting with the divorce attorney was. You split the property and came up with schedules for Lynn, but stayed quiet for the most part. After signing a few papers, the attorney stood up, collected his things, and said, "Everything should be sorted out soon. Give it about thirty days, and everything will be finalized. Think you can stand each other for that long?" He joked, trying to lighten up the mood and cut the awkward tension. The both of you nodded and gave your best attempts at pleasant smiles.