Pregnant

Before Riley was born...

Before her move to San Fransisco...

Before Joy & Sadness's epic adventure in her mind...

4th July, 2004, 11 years 'B.R.' [Before Riley]

The whole story began one summer day, in Jill & Bill Andersen's house.

Jill was away at the doctor's for her yearly check-up.

And Bill was inside the house, snoozing on the couch. At that moment, Jill came in, and Bill awoke. "Oh hey, dear. How'd the check-up go?" he asked his wife. 

"Well, Bill," Jill said, "'it went very well. The doctor said I was perfectly fine, fit and healthy."

"Great!" Bill said. "I bet You feel great, don't you?" It was then he noticed Jill was quite still, and thoughtful. And his Emotions discovered this too. "What's up with her?" Bill's Joy said.

"Jill, is something wrong?" he asked his wife. "Well..." Jill began uneasily. "Honey, if there's anything wrong, you can tell me." Bill said.

Jill sighed. "Bill," she said nervously, "the doctor told me something else." "What?" Bill asked. Jill just sighed. Bill said kindly, "Whatever it is, you can trust me. What is it you're keeping secret?"

Jill leant in close to his ear and said, "I'm pregnant." Upon hearing this, Bill's eyes popped, his heart skipped a beat, and he was so shocked, he fell off the couch.

His Emotions stared, their eyes popped as wide as dinner plates. At that moment, a few purple memories dropped into the memory racks.

"You... you're... pregnant?" Bill said as he stood up, his voice trailing. Jill nodded. "I can't believe it." Bill said. "This is just..." he paused, but only for a split second. "...fantastic!"

"It is?" Jill asked, surprised. "Yes!" Bill cheered happily. "I'm gonna be a dad! Whoo!" he said as he ran outside into the garden, cheering and whooping all the way.

Jill's Emotions stared at the departing Bill on their screen, who'd just taken his shirt off, and was rocking on air guitar loudly in the garden. 

They stared with blank expressions. "For this, we gave up that Brazillian helicopter pilot?" Jill's Anger said angrily. 

Then she and the other Emotions put the Brazillian helicopter pilot memory on and sighed happily.