prologue

I had been dreaming of him for months now. I knew he was mine.

Mom said she had dreams of Daddy before she met him; that meant he was coming soon. We'd be able to meet soon, and I was ready for it.

Sleeping was the highlight of my days now. My dreams were the most vivid ones that I'd ever had. They were as vivid as my day-to-day life was. The only difference between the two realities was that in slumber, I couldn't catch his scent. Something about him made me wary- he wasn't human yet, because I couldn't smell him, I had no idea what he was. He could be anything, but I knew that human wasn't one of those things. I was glad he wasn't human, but the fact that I didn't know what he was made me nervous. He didn't know what I was either. I could tell him, but I didn't want him to know yet. That was something that I wanted to do in the waking realm, though it might have been easier to do so in the dreams.

Would he reject me when he found out I was different? Would he want me when we met or would the monster inside me draw him to me like it did every man, and end up scaring him away?

I couldn't talk or sing- my voice was too alluring. In the real world, I couldn't dress nice; they'd be all over me more than they already were. I had to keep to myself. No friends, no dates, and no making myself prettier with too much makeup. It could lead to something bad if I wasn't careful, like Jenna and once I met my mate in real life, I'd have more "gifts" to add to the mixing pot of what I was always told was danger in my blood.

I'd really be a monster then.

I just hoped the man, my mate, would take me for me. I didn't want to use my gift, but if he rejected me I would. I refused to be alone after waiting for him for twenty two years, and I wasn't letting him leave me no matter how fatal I could end up being, so whatever he was, he had better be strong, and he'd better be fearless. My life had been full of rejection- from other supes, from the children and adults around me; even my coven to some extent. Those types of rejection I had grown accustomed to, but rejection from him? That would send me over the edge, and I knew that no matter how much training and educating that I had on my nature, the rejection of my mate would be the one to make my ferals uncontrollable to the point that all of that preparation that I'd gone through would be nothing.

I was ready for him, but I could only pray that he was ready for me.