Baby, It's Cold Outside

The echo of laughter through the halls at Hogwarts resounded in the hearts of many, warm eyes and warm hearts making up for the falling snow and icy pavement outside the castle walls. Christmas was near, and the giddy feeling in the souls of all the students made for a highly anticipated holiday break, which was to begin when the train promptly came to Hogwarts to take students home on that very day.

Draco, however, had not been home since the incident prior to the beginning of the year.

His mother had sent his things to Hogwarts to be ready for him, as well as a letter explaining that she had heard what happened and that his father was home and well. In her letter, she informed him she had sent an owl to Molly and Arthur, showing her thanks for keeping Draco safe and fed that night.

Which, yes, may seem a bit twisted considering, hey, Draco's father just got hauled off to Merlin knows where, and Molly and Arthur just took it upon themselves to show him to safety for the night before alerting anyone of their plans to do so. But, none the less, their intentions were good, and Draco had returned to Hogwarts with no harm done, and as a mother, Narcissa was grateful. But Lucius? Although his mother did not include it in her letter, Draco was sure his father would give him an earful about his opinions on the situation and a fierce scolding for running with Harry. He was surprised he had not yet received a howler. Draco couldn't lie to himself any longer- he was afraid to return home for the holiday.

He wasn't ready to return home to his father. He wasn't ready to hear him talk and talk about the morality of the Weasleys and the financial side of their family. He wasn't ready to hear his father curse Harry Potter's name at the dinner table with his face twisted in a scowl. He wasn't ready for he and his mother to sit in an uncomfortable silence while listening to his father's negative speech about the superiority of the Malfoys. Draco had finally gotten out enough to find that he no longer agreed with his father.  But, just as his mother, he wouldn't dare to speak one word against his father, or he'd really be in for it.

Draco sat at the Slytherin table in the great hall, one of the last still lingering around after breakfast. He had finally found Crabbe and Goyle, what a miracle, who had both taken to running to their rooms to pack and prepare for holiday. Draco was ready for the train that would be arriving any minute, his stuff stacked up and relatively close to where he was sitting. He even dawned his silver and green striped scarf in preparation for the incoming and unforgiving sting of the snowfall outside.

Harry, Ron and Hermione were also some of the last still hanging about the great hall, excitedly chattering and Ron of course still munching down the last of what he could manage.

Draco looked up to find Harry staring at him a few times, and hoped the Slytherin table was far enough from the Gryffindor one so that Harry would not notice Draco's blush.

Draco had even decided it wise to pull out a book and make himself look busy in hopes that Potter would stop his stupid staring, but no such luck. Draco couldn't even manage to comprehend the ink laid on the page; his mind was whirring with thoughts and questions and just downright annoyance. Why couldn't Potter just keep his eyes to himself? Draco could still feel the burning hole that was being stared into him by the green eyes across the hall, even if his head was stuck in a book. He was sure if he looked up to lock their eyes, his blush sure would be noticeable now.

Why was he getting all anxious about Potter staring? Or maybe he wasn't anxious. Maybe he was annoyed.

Draco Malfoy was flushed, anxious, annoyed, scared and angry all at once, just because stupid Harry Potter with his stupid face and his stupid glasses and stupid scar were scaring at him.