Hopes Up High

The announcement about the Yule Ball in fourth year sparked quite the curiosity among the students about who the Triwizard competitors would choose to ask as their date, which was to be expected.

Everyone who was even acquainted with Fleur, Krum, Cedric and Harry put on their best faces the week the ball was announced, the four receiving quite polite treatment from the student body, obviously to butter them up. It was not long before people were paired up for the dance, witches and wizards everywhere excited to dress up for the event and spend a night with whoever they'd agreed to go with. Harry, however, had no such luck with date ideas, much to the annoyance of Hermione and Ron.

They sat at the Gryffindor table one particular afternoon, Harry sulking over his pumpkin juice and hardly even picking at his lunch. 

"Harry, mate, could you stop being depressed for one second? Or maybe even better, spill what your problem is? This whole sulking act of yours is bumming me out."

Hermione looked at Ron in annoyance, and back to Harry with sympathy, who had taken a break from picking at his food to look up at them.

"No pressure, Harry, but really. What's wrong?"

Harry sighed, letting his fork clank down onto his plate.

"I asked Cho, alright? I asked Cho to the ball."

Ron and Hermione both perked up at this, leaning forward a bit in expectation of a conclusion.

"Well, out with it! What did she say?" Ron questioned eagerly, happy for his friend.

Harry's shoulders dropped a bit as he sighed, seeming to retract further into himself.

"She said no. She's already agreed to go with someone else."

Hermione and Ron leaned back into their seats, excitement fading.

"Do you presume she'll be going with Cedric? They've been spending an awful lot of time together."

Harry looked to Hermione sadly.

"I'm not sure. I guess so."

"Well, Harry, this is turning into a bit of an emergency. Who are you going to ask? I told you before that all the best girls would be taken if you waited this long!"

Hermione looked to Ron at her side, narrowing her eyes at his comment. 

"Well, Ron, have you made plans to ask anyone? I don't think it's fair for you to not take your own advice, is it?"

Ron narrowed his eyes back at her. 

"Oh, yeah? Well, what about you? What if I planned to ask you?"

Hermione looked away from Ron and back to her food, smirking.

"Well, I'd say that's unfortunate, as I've already been asked."

Ron furrowed his brows, jealously rising to his face in the form of a blush.

"By who?!"

"You'll have to see."

Hermione looked up from her food to find Harry sulking again, staring again at the meal he'd picked into a million pieces, poking it with his fork.

"Don't worry too much, Harry, I'm sure there's plenty of people who haven't found a date yet."

"Do you know anyone?"

Hermione rolled her eyes, Harry looking far too sad over this situation.

"Not off the top of my head, no," she hesitated.