The Innkeeper

(Holly's POV)

I was being held up by Declan's sturdy arms as we walked down the stairs together. I was so lightheaded I felt like I was in another world. My daze was cut off by the deep voice protruding through my head.

"I believe this is yours?" He says and holds up my necklace. I thank him and look at it. Since it's the only piece of jewellery I have, I take good care of it, so it is still beautiful and shiny. I open it and see my mothers and fathers face, along with my own. I was so young in this picture, possibly five or six. I miss my parents so very much.

I realise where my thoughts are going and I close the locket abruptly. I don't want to think about them. I put the necklace on around my neck and continue to rest most of my body weight on Declan.

We finish walking down the mountain of stairs and come to another door. I hear laughter and music coming from the other side. I look up and see Declan with this massive smile on his face. I see his white teeth and it seems as if the whole room changed into a happier state. Even I felt better. He opens the door and it's as if he opened a door to an entirely different world. Dancing couples were laughing and singing, and just enjoying each other's company.

We walk to a table and Declan pulls out his chair for me and sits me down. His eyes were dancing around the room though and not paying much attention to me. I was impressed by his courtesy though and smiled slightly. I notice a jolly, middle-aged man walking toward our table. He doesn't look like a waiter so I am a little confused. He has rosy red cheeks, a large belly, and a beard that went past his chest. I imagine him in the common holiday red and brown, like Father Christmas, and giggle loudly. He looks at me as he walks closer, with a raised eyebrow and a slight smile adorning his red face. I hurriedly try to stifle my giggling. Curse my imagination.

"Hiya, Deck!" The bumbling man said.

"Well hey there, Colin. How's business?" Declan responded, smiling.

"Betta than evah, how's the travellin' going?" Colin returned with an obvious and clear accent.

The two talked for what seemed like hours. It slightly annoyed me since I was utterly hungry and these two barely looked in my direction, except to introduce the two of us to each other. The more Colin talked, the more he reminded me of Father Christmas. So at least I was being entertained.

"Anyway, is there anythin' I can get for you two?" Finally. They were done yapping.

Deck looks over to me and asks what I want to eat. Even though I had probably looked over their menu a thousand times, I had no idea what I wanted. I give him a blank stare. He turns to Colin.

"We will order...two specials if we may."

"You certainly may, coming right up." He turns 180 degrees and yells, "Laura! Get some soup and bread going!"

He turns another 180 degrees and faces me. Colin reaches into a big pocket on his tarnished white apron and pulls out a lily. "A lovely flower, for a lovely lady." He smiles the biggest smile he's smiled since I laid my eyes on him.

I take the flower, bow my head, and thank him for his kindness. Although I needed food more than anything else, this gesture made me feel happy. I shook my head at how much the two of them reminded me of little girls talking about a boy at school. I did learn many things about Declan while I was going through the ordeal of hearing the two talk. Declan worked as an informer or newsman of sorts, but much more official. He travels across the country giving lords confidential information and telling townsfolk news about other towns and any regal news from the king. I forget the actual name for what he does but "official newsman" is good for me.

Declan had come to live in this small but bustling town of Kittrel around 5 years ago shortly after he turned 18. He had gotten work at this very inn where he and Colin became friends, even though Colin was a good 30 years older. In my eyes, it seems as though he was more of a father figure to Declan.

I look over to the swinging door that the waiters and waitresses pushed through every five minutes or so, begging to see my food coming in the arms of a happy waiter or waitress. Like an angel, a rosy-cheeked young girl around my age started walking towards our table. My stomach decided to make a very loud gurgling sound as the girl put down a bowl of hot soup and a small plate of bread with a small square of butter on it in front of me.

"Hey, Decky." I hear the girl say and I look up just in time to see a flirty eyelash flutter that seemed to pierce his very soul.

"Hi, Mary." He replies after clearing his throat and smiling broadly.

"Here's yours, Decky." She giggles and turns to walk back to her next table.