Chapter One

Tris POV

Flashback

"You can't save her now, Toby. Can't save your girlfriend." Lauren sneers. "She's gonna be depressed for the rest of her pathetic life." Toby looks at me with tears in his eyes as Lauren dunks his head under the water in her lays on his back, fighting as hard as he can without air. Bubbles of water begin bubbling up to the surface, and his body falls limp.

"NO!" I scream. Lauren cackles, and hauls his body from the water, lifts his head up, and drops it on the concrete causing blood to ooze out of the back of his head.

"Have fun, bitch." Lauren walks off, not bothering to untie me from the chair. "HELP!" I call out. "Help." I manage one last call with tears. A girl with mocha skin and short brown hair, and a pale boy with brown hair and green eyes run into the back yard. I'm on the verge of loosing consciousness, so they rush to untie me. "Im Christina, and this is will. Can you tell me your name?" The girl asks, putting her fingers on my wrists.

"T-Tris." I sob silently. "How old are you?" The boy asks. "I'm t-ten."

"Okay, we're gonna get you out of here. Keep your eyes open." I feel the pain of the drugs Lauren injected me with, and I can barely see out of my eyes because of the bruises she caused upon me. "It hurts." I sob.

"Were you with anyone else?" Will asks, picking me up like a baby. "Toby. He's by the pool. He's dying." I whisper. Will hands me to Christina who gives me a piggyback, and will comes back with Toby in his arms.

"Where do you live?"

"2011 abnegation lane. Toby lives at 4106 abnegation lane."

I begin loosing consciousness, and Christina says something, but I don't hear it.

When I open my eyes again, I'm in the hospital, Caleb, mr.eaton, and my parents are all in the room talking in hushed voices. "How will she react?" Caleb asks.

"It will crush her." Mom replies, crying slightly.

"what will crush me?" They all turn to look at me, shock and joy on their faces.

"Beatrice, are you okay?" Mom asks, concerned.

"What happened? My head hurts."

They all look at one another, when dad steps forward. "Honey, I'm sorry-"

"Where's Toby?" I ask. They all look down sadly. Mom opens her mouth to speak, but mr.eaton stops her. "I should probably tell her."

"Sweetheart, I'm sorry to say this, but-"

"Did something happen to Toby?"

"Beatrice, wipe it for him to finish." Caleb says.

"Toby is... In a better place." He says, softly.

"He's dead?"

Mr.Eaton nods. I burst into tears, and cover my face with my pillow. They don't say anything or do anything, they just stand there. After awhile, I remove the pillow from my face, only to see mom in the room.

"There's my baby." She smiles slightly.

"Why are you looking at houses?" I point to the newspaper on my bed. "We want you to pick a house. We're moving to L.A."

Present day

"Beatrice, you awake?" My brother asks, peeking his head into my room.

"I am now." He walks in. "Today we're moving back to Chicago."

"That's today?" I whine.

"Yes, that's why you're sleeping on an air mattress, Beatrice." I look down and see in fact I am on an air mattress.

"What's today?"

"Wednesday, August 17."

"Wait, that means-"

"Yes, school starts in two weeks. The house is already set up. 4610 Divergent Road. It's the only house on the street. Get your wig and contacts in, were flying first class to Chicago in five hours."

He leaves, and I get off the air mattress and push all the air out of it. I out my wig and contacts in, and throw a grey hoodie over my clothes.

I grab my suitcase from the side of me, and press the button for the elevator, which comes in three seconds. I press the fifth floor, and the elevator rises up.

When the door opens, the recording studio is empty. All the pillows I would relax on to write are gone, everything is gone. I go back into the elevator to the third floor, and see Caleb grabbing his suitcase. "You done yet? I'm ready to leave." He turns, and I burst into laughter at his appearance.

He has a blonde wig with brown eyes, and he's wearing fake piercings, he even has stick on earrings. "Yeah, yeah. Laugh all you want, Beatrice. Mom sent the wrong wig back to the store so I'm getting a new one in Chicago."

"P-please don't, this one's priceless!"

He gets in, and we go downstairs to see mom and dad kissing on the floor. "Oh, jeez! I'm blinded!" I shout, covering my eyes. Caleb, being the smart one, presses the elevator close button, so we end up standing in the elevator at our destination, but waiting for our parents to finish.