Chapter 14

It took them about fifteen minutes to get to their destination, where it was the same scenario all over again, minus everyone speaking in a different language. By the time they left the restaurant Rainer new everyone's tale of woe and Caleb ended up leaving some money in the tip jar.

They entered the park, where they had decided to go for a walk and Caleb pulled Norah back, letting Rainer and Alice go ahead. Alice was taking turns between her gelato and Rainer's.

"Where does she put it all?" Norah asked having forgone the gelato altogether.

Caleb laughed as he took a bite of his lemon flavored treat.

They walked for a minute before he stopped and looked at her. "Are you upset?"

Norah knew he was referring to his asking Alice out on a date and she shrugged. She was upset but she wasn't sure if she had the right to be?  At the time she had been under the impression that their marriage was over so Caleb would have most likely been under the same impression. The difference was that if she had been asked out she would have said no because for her, Caleb was the one and no other man would ever compare.

"Norah... I." he looked at his gelato then threw it in the trashcan next to him. "I asked Alice out to try to get under Rainer's skin.  It was obvious to everyone that she was mad about him even though they were claiming to be just friends.  Rainer had never brought a girl home so it was kind of a big deal, and when he pretended like it meant nothing...it made me mad so I asked Alice out on a date."

Norah still didn't say anything.

"It was the same with all my other sisters–in-law. I have never had a date nor had an affair since we were married."

Norah thought back to Alice's comment about Caleb adoring women. He had known just how to treat her to make her come out of her shell and fall for him, but why did he choose her? She turned to look at him wanting him to know that she believed him. She searched his eyes which were just as honest and open as they had always been.

"Do you remember the first time we met?"

"Yes, it was when Bill introduced us." Caleb's hand snuck around to the small of her back pulling her close her legs entangled with his.

"The first thing I thought..." She swallowed.

Caleb was waiting patiently.

"The first thought that went through my mind, no my heart really, was that I could trust you."

He pulled her closer tracing her cheek with his thumb. "Is that why you threatened me with a shotgun?" He laughed. It was a low and husky sound that made her toes curl.

"I was still a girl living alone.  I had to be careful, especially when it became apparent that Scarlett thought of you as the next best thing."

"Yes, that dog and I do have a mutual adoration for each other."

"I know, is it wrong that it makes me jealous?"

"It does?" He looked perplexed. It was such a cute look that Norah could stand it no longer as she rose up on her tip-toes and kissed him.

He needed no further action from her as he took over. He wrapped his arms under her rear and lifted her up without breaking the kiss.  It put Norah above Caleb making her feel like the powerful one.  It also squashed her body against his allowing her to feel all of the hard angles of his.

Her hands went to either side of his face as she deepened the kiss. He tasted like lemon and his mouth was still chilled from the gelato.

When she broke the kiss she looked down at him in wonder.