Betrayal

It was about a week before school started, when the frisbee of fate slammed into my face, causing a year of pain, loss, love, and betrayal.

*****

•Prologue•

*****

"Hey Ash, check out that guy's abs."

My best friend Lindsey, was pointedly staring at some random shirtless guy. Great. Just wait until he notices and comes running up to her like all the others do.

Sighing, I look up from my book and see the boy Lindsey was referring to in my peripheral vision. Of course he's hot. Lindsey has great taste in guys- well at least their external appearances. Most of her crushes had gorgeous looks and the personality of an asshat.

I marvel at his smooth, tan skin. His hair catches my eye. It turns a fiery shade of red, as the sun's rays shine down on him. Aren't red heads supposed to be pale? I stare as he stretches his arms up, making his muscles ripple.

I reluctantly trail my eyes back up to his face, just to see his green-grey eyes gazing into my brown ones. I immediately glance back down at my book, blushing as red as a tomato.

"He's looking at you!" Lindsey states, pointing out the obvious.

"Yeah right."

"He is! Are you blind??"

"No, his hotness is just blinding my eyes," I snap defensively.

"I don't know why he would though, you're so ugly."

"I know."

"I'm just kidding! Sheesh Ash, take a joke!" Lindsey exclaims.

I shrug. Even though she's "just kidding," that comment still hurt. It hurts every single time.
A lot. I mean, I realize that I'll never be as gorgeous as her, but does she really have to rub it in? Lindsey looks like your classical "Barbie" toy, with her blonde hair and hourglass figure.

Suddenly, I'm jerked out of my thoughts by a masculine voice calling, "Watch out!"

I look up, just to feel something smash into my face, and then the world fades.