Chapter 5: Miracles

I believed when I was younger, that if you made wishes on Christmas eve they came true. I grew to call these wishes miracles, partly because miracles were incredibly rare, partly because my wishes never came true. I never understood why miracles were so rare.

 I start thinking about those wishes as I'm quickly whipping up some grilled cheese sandwiches at eleven thirty in the evening at a friend's house. I used to wish for exciting things. Adventures. Then I realize I'm daydreaming, and that a slice of bread has started to burn, making me redo the sandwich before it catches on fire.

 Pulling on my blue winter jacket, I step onto the porch with the grilled sandwiches. The back porch is the only place outside where there is almost no snow on the ground due to the small roof extension overhead. So it was the perfect place to set up Alya's telescope for stargazing. It's a clear, but chilly evening, so the Luke and Anthony prepped a super messy thermos of hot chocolate and four cups. Of course there were also my sandwiches, which were, not surprisingly, neater than the cocoa.

Halfway through looking through the star chart, we were all starting to get pretty cold. After freezing in silence for a few minutes, someone was brave enough to suggest we huddle together like penguins ( Hint: it wasn't me). So we do. From left to right we were squished in a semi circle, and there was almost no movement from any of us until I flinched momentarily when I thought that Luke was going to put his arm around me ( a terrifying thought), but instead, he's handing out all of our late Christmas cards ( we already had the card exchange). When I got my card, however I was surprised at how much I liked it. It might have been a coincidence, but Luke's card was actually quite in sync with my Christmas beliefs. On it was a starry night sky, and in letters made to look like constellations, it said, You Are a Miracle. Luke seemed pleased that I liked it so much, and I blushed, realizing I had been grinning like and idiot.

 Alya pointed out that we should all make a wish, even thought there were no shooting stars out. We all agreed.

 So, like I had many times before, I closed my eyes and tried to reach into the depths of my mind to find a wish to make, only this time, I realized something instead. Sometimes you don't realize it when your wishes come true, sometimes miracles aren't supposed to be discovered.

 Long ago, I wished for happiness, and, not realizing it, my wish was granted. Now, all these years later, I think to myself how lucky I am to have three miracles wishing with me on Christmas eve.

THE END~~~~~:)