Chapter Fourteen - Meet & Greet Part I

Anna

My sister is going to drive me insane before we even make it to the venue for the concert. "Joanne, will you please try and calm down." I say for what feels like the hundredth time since we left our house almost an hour ago.

"Anna, are you kidding me? We're in a limousine driving to a Jet Valentine concert. How in the world are you not freaking out? Are you even human? Even mom and dad are excited." She points into the direction of our parents who are sitting on the other side of the spacious car, sipping on champagne.

The truth is, I am beyond freaked out. Tyler sent a text message this morning, informing me about a car picking us up. That way we wouldn't have to deal with anything at all where this evening is concerned, except focusing on having a good time. He's been so sweet, and I'm more confused than ever. Can I have such strong feelings for a person that I haven't even met yet? But then again, there's a reason why there's so much online dating nowadays, right? I still haven't been able to talk to anyone about all of this, and I feel like I might explode soon from keeping it to myself.

"We're here." Joanne squeals so loudly that I'm afraid I've sustained some permanent hearing damage.

The car has stopped in front of the side entrance, just like Tyler mentioned. Before anyone can make it to the door, it is being opened from the outside. A big figure leans down and halfway into the car.

The man is wearing sunglasses so I can't see his eyes, but it looks like he's staring at me. "Family Aberdeen?"

I gulp before nodding slowly. Thankfully my dad speaks up. "That's us."

"Great. Come on out." He waits by the car door, with four more security guards a few feet behind him. They stand in front of the closed door to the venue, all wearing matching suits and sunglasses. "Right over here, please. We'll have to check your belongings really quick. I'm sorry about that, but it's standard procedure for everyone who enters through us."

My mom steps forward, holding out her purse. "No problem at all, we totally understand."

After a quick check, we go inside with two of the guards flanking us. The one next to me speaks up. "We have to hurry. Mr. Valentine only has a few minutes before he needs to get ready for his show, but he wanted to see you."

We're deep into the labyrinth of backstage hallways, when the words finally register. I look over to my parents, who are trying to calm down Joanne. She looks like she might have a breakdown at any moment. I can't really blame her though, even I have to admit that my nervousness barometer just shot up to dangerous levels.

Before I know it, the guards stop in front of an open door, gesturing for us to go inside. "There's refreshments in there for you. Mr. Valentine will be here shortly." One of the guards mumbles before saying something into his headset.

"Did you know about this, Anna?" My mom asks, eyeing me curiously.

"No." Is all I get out. I'm still a bit dumbfounded myself. My parents don't know the whole story about Tyler and me. I told them that we met at the coast when I was out taking pictures, and that we started talking. Now I just need to be convincing when I actually meet him.

I don't have time to ponder on it any more because in that moment the door flings open. Jet Valentine walks into the room with an older woman right on his heels, closing the door behind them.

Several things happen at once. The older woman introduces herself as Marlene, Jet's personal assistant. She has been in charge of our travel arrangement, wanting to make sure that everything worked flawlessly. My parents get into a conversation with her right away.