Chapter 3

That evening when I showed up to Steven's house, Steven opened the door and stepped out, closing the door with one hand while the other one remained behind his back awkwardly. 

"Umm hey Emily. Wanna come to my backyard? I set everything up outside if you don't mind?" I walked in front as he slipped the door open and held it open for me. We sat down on the porch and Steven nervously smiled. 

"Emily this is for you..." He pulled out a wonderful smelling red rose from behind his back and handed it to me. 

"I'm speechless Steven, thanks! But what's the special occasion? The rose, picnic, and serious look on your face?" I asked. 

 "I'm losing my eyesight and within a months time I'm going to go blind Emily. I just can't handle it..." Steven said, not pausing for a breathe.

 "What? Woah, I'm sorry I can't do anything for you Steven. Is this why your giving me a rose and set the picnic?" I asked. 

"Well actually, I was going to ask you if you'd want to be my girlfriend - even though I'm going blind. And I don't want you to say yes because you take pity on me but -" I stopped him from rambling by quickly pecking him on the lips. 

"Of course Steven, I'll be your girlfriend! I don't mind that you're losing your eyesight either."