One

"Yami...? Yami, are you there?" my childhood friend, Ueno Takeshi, was trying to get my attention.

"Ehh... what?" I yawned, pushing away his hand that was waving in front of my face.

"What were you thinking about this time? Ajins, vampires, ghouls, dragons-" he guessed.

"Ajins." I mumbled, blushing and looking of the opposite side of me that he was on.

"Again? Seriously? You need to daydream about cooler things... like me!" he grinned.

"I will not daydream about your ugly face." I made a disgusted expression. Takeshi and I always played around like this. We were both laughing uncontrollably when I noticed our surroundings. I stopped my movements and his by putting my arm out in front of him.

"Hey.. why'd we stop walking?" he questioned and I quickly gave him an answer.

"A few murders have happened here recently... by the... Masked Murderer." I shivered. I wasn't up for getting killed today.

The Masked Murder was this person who looked to be a young adult going around killing people. No one knows the reason why. His first homicide was around 6 months ago, and his name was given to him by the people of our town because he was first seen wearing a red and white cat mask that covered the top half of his face. He is said to have brown hair, as his bangs always hang over his mask. The length of his hair is unknown, though. It's always hidden by a grey zip up jacket that has faint stains of blood on it.

"Uh-huh. And you think they're just gonna pop up out of nowhere?" he giggled and I got frustrated.

"Stop laughing! This is a serious matter!" I commanded, but he didn't listen.

"Don't worry princess, I'll protect you!" he laughed even harder, so I punched him in the stomach and he immediately stopped... only to start complaining instead.

"Owww~! That wasn't ni~ce..." he groaned, arms holding his stomach.

"C'mon, let's get out of here before something really does happen." I said as I grabbed his hand and started walking out of the area, taking a different route to our street.

Once I let him into my house, the first thing he did was go over to the medicine cabinet and grab some ibuprofen, and a cup of water to take it.

"Did I really punch you that hard?" I asked once we both got settled on the couch.

"Yes! You did! And it was super unnecessary!" he pouted.

"Sup." my brother said from behind us, making Takeshi and I jump.

"I guess your guys' bickering was too loud to even hear me come in." he had a fake annoyed expression on his face, and then flipped onto the couch, next to me.

"Onii-san.. you're home early." I stated. My brother works with Tosaki at the ministry of health department, the department that finds ajins and experiments them. Onii-san isn't supposed to tell me stuff that goes around there, but he tells me anyways since he trusts that I will keep the information to myself and not share it.

"How's life, Takeshi-kun?" he asked, surprising my brother.

"Eh? Oh. It's good." he grinned.

"Hey... uhm, I also had a theory that the Masked Murderer was an ajin..." Takeshi finished, slightly tilting his head and scratching it with his pointer finger.

Takeshi knew what Onii-san did for a living, just not what the real ajin experiments were- nor what they do or say. He often helped out my brother in theories in finding ajins.