The Gone City

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the characters or places in this story, all I own is the story itself. I hope you enjoy!

     Darkness. The complete and utter emptiness of that night is the most I remember. Laying down on the cot-like structure, wooden walls encasing the fragile being. Though the walls held this strange, gentle, potent creature, they did not protect it. Well, rather her. The familiar purple and green tinted wooden walls did nothing to ease the tension that the city withheld.

     It was the calm before the storm. The stillness of the land when lightening is seen in the distance and anticipation wraps around all who were witness to the extraordinary glory of nature. The glow of fire before the smoke.

     That's what she saw first. An eerie, orange glow blazing up from the rooftops of buildings. The tinder being set ablaze in the distance was remarkable, it almost trapped her in a trance. The crimson hues danced in the crisp autumn air. Sight seems to be the sense that many creatures, if not all of them, rely on.

     Next was scent. It was warm to the blue-skinned youth's nostrils and lungs. It filled her entire being with a feeling of strength and adrenaline. The blood in her veins began to pump as her heartbeat grew increasingly rapid.

     Third was the sound. Voices of men, women, and children were audible among the wood and stone town. The crackling of flames grew increasingly louder as more and more of the beautiful, rich landscape was consumed by the glorious, as well as deadly, scarlet glow. The groaning of this massive life form seemed to haunt the town, her home was being ripped apart from the outside, burning tendrils seeping into her seemingly tough surroundings.

     Finally, movement. The youth, long-eared, blue-skinned, tall and slim moved with one swift movement out of her resting place. Hurridly, she moved in two strides towards her vanity and pulled open the top drawer. She revealed a small box. Grabbing it, she reached for her tan leather cloak and boots. It was then two familiar figures burst into her room. They talked loudly of nothing, her instincts already telling her what to do.

     In the arms of the male in front of her was a being, a young boy who looked vaguely of herself. The strong man's arms carried the child effortlessly out of their containment.

     The creaking and groaning of their wooden surroundings grew louder as they made their way down the winding ramps of their dwelling.

     Little did they know that this containment would serve three of them to the rest of their lives.