Prologue

Okay. Okay, this is fine you can handle this. Your friend is just growing wings. Nothing big.

I ran my blood stained fingers over his short auburn hair as he screamed into one of my pillows. I'd been trying to sooth him for nearly an hour now and the sobs still hadn't stopped.

He'd been bleeding so badly when he'd came, nearly passing out at the front door of my apartment. Luckily, the one thing I never really do is panic. I'd had to cut off his shirt, careful of the growing hunches beneath it. I forgot how to breath, and not in a pleasant way, once the shirt was off.

His back was a swollen mess, welting veins pulsed under his skin, spreading out from the gaping wounds between his shoulder blades where the growing pair of wings were sprouting from. I wiped a wet, lukewarm towel over his new found feathers with what I hoped were steady hands.

Then, I sat with him as he laid flat on his stomach, his face deep in my pillow as he cried.

Once the trembling in Alistair's shoulders started to lessen, I thought it would be a good time to get him some type of pain killer. I stood, trying to think of anything else I could get to ease the pain.

Before I could take more than two steps away from the bed, Alistair caught my hand.

"Landon." He took a sharp breath, using my given name for the first time since we'd met.

"Yeah?" I said softly, looking for anything else that could possibly be wrong with him.

"Don't go." it was said weakly, just barely above a whisper.

It hurt so much to pull away.