Not Like You

Kim slammed the door of her apartment, threw down her bags, and laid down on the couch. Gerald awoke from the commotion. "Kimberly?" Kim forgot that Gerald was home and quickly covered her face with a handkerchief to hide her tears.

He sat next to her, "you know... I can see you." He said playfully as he tickled her.

Kim sniffed, "Ge naman! Tama na!"

Gerald heard the crack in her voice, "Kimberly, hey... What's wrong?" He asked as he removed the handkerchief from her face. He looked at her with such love and compassion. She sat up and hugged him, she new she had to come clean about Xian's return.

"Wag kang mabibigla, pero nakita ko ulit yung ex ko..." Kim began to explain. She was nervous and Gerald could tell.

"Hey, it's okay. That's the thing with exes, sometimes they come back around," Gerald said understandingly. He kissed her on the forehead, silently telling her that it's okay to continue on with the story.

"Kanina nung sinundo ko sina Matt at Chong, andun din siya. I promise, I didn't know he was with them. Hinatid sila sa bahay ni Matt and when I was about to leave he apologized to me." Kim could feel the anger still pulsing through her. "It wasn't even a real apology! He just said, 'Kimmy, I'm sorry.' Yun lang! I waited for his apology for so long and now after how many years have gone by, I get a DRUNKEN APOLOGY?! Aba no way! Hindi ako papayag! I mean... Am I wrong to want a proper apology? Don't I deserve a sincere apology as to why he left me, broke his promises, and broke my heart?" Kim paused and looked at Gerald. She gasped, "Ge, I'm so sorry! I wasn't thinking... I shouldn't have ranted to you about my ex..."

"What happens if he sincerely apologizes?" Gerald asked quietly, scared of the answer.

"Ge, I deserve an apology for all the pain he put me through. That doesn't mean I'd leave you for him. Accepting his apology doesn't change what he did and it sure as hell doesn't make it any better. Me accepting his apology is also him admitting his mistakes. That's all."

Gerald smiled, content with her answer. "Babe, I'm so lucky to have you." He said as he kissed her. "Of course you're not wrong to want a sincere apology, you deserve it. My lola always said that if you're going to apologize just for the sake of apologizing then forget it! Apologies are meant to be sincere and any other form of apologies are worthless."

"Thanks for understanding. I don't know why I let it get under my skin."

Gerald hugged her tightly, "it's understandable naman. This is the first time you're seeing your ex in years, of course it'll hurt and be confusing."

'But it isn't the first time I saw him since the break up, this is the second time. The first time was when he was with you in the pediatric ward.' Kim said to herself. She decided to keep that bit of information to herself.

"Sige na Ge, I need to shower and get ready for my shift."

Maja and Mateo's house.

Mateo woke up, his head pounding. "Shit!" He said while holding his head as if it were to fall off because of the pain.

"Here take this," Xian said as he held up a glass of orange juice and a pain reliever. "Remember when we used to get so drunk we would pass out in the car?" Xian laughed, "those were the days!"

Mateo took the pain reliever and swallowed it dry. "What are you doing here?"

"Ah. Eh. Dito tayo binaba ni Kim kaninang madaling araw. Pumayag naman si Maja..."

"No, I mean what are you doing in Manila? Why aren't you in Chicago?"

"Ha? I explained this last night. I got a job offer at the hospital where Enchong works. I'll be moving here so I can be closer to--"

"To? Kim?!" Mateo clenched his jaw and Xian took notice.

"No, I need to take care of mama. She had a heart attack and I want to be near her."

Mateo didn't respond. He was still nursing his hangover.

"Matt, yung boyfriend ni Kim..."

Mateo's eyes grew angry, "DON'T TALK ABOUT KIM!"

"Teka lang, ano bang problema mo?!" Xian was shocked.

"Who the hell do you think you are? You walked out of our lives without a word. You left Kim a fucking note telling her you're leaving her behind for your dreams. Then you show up, almost three years later thinking nothing has changed?! Don't ask about Kim, don't ask about her boyfriend. You lost your right to ask about her when you left her for a school in Chicago!"

Xian kept quiet.

"We had to pick up the pieces when you left. I carried her off the floor where she laid for almost a week crying over you!"

"Matt, I didn't know..."

"Paano mo nga ba malalaman?! You didn't even have the decency to call, to reach out to any of us after you left. She fell into a depression for a couple of months. She struggled to get over you and now here you are, Mr Perfect. Halatang halata hindi ka naapektuhan. Good for you! But I warn you, don't go near Kim again. She has finally moved on with someone we all approve of. He's definitely not like you. He's not a jackass who leaves when it gets tough."

Mateo's words hurt. Xian took it in stride, he knew he deserved every word Mateo had said. What hurt Xian even more was how much his actions hurt Kim.