The lights have faded

Okay so laurens_ilikeyoualot wanted more Philip one shots so here you go...

Philip P.O.V

     Mr. George Eacker was his name.  His words disparaged my father's legacy in front of a crowd. I confronted him, and challenged him to a duel.  The problem is they don't exactly cover this subject in boarding school.  My heart raced, what have I done?

     I raced home.  I flung open the door mumbling to myself.

    "Philip! It's good to see you son!" My father a man of many words.

    "Pops, if you'd only heard the shit he said about you! I doubt you would've let it slide, and I was not about to!"  I was ranting but its' infuriating.

    "Slow down."

     "I came to ask you for advice,, they don't necessarily cover this subject in school."

     "Did you guys attempt to negotiate a truce?"  I shake my head.

     "He refused to apologize." My father bounced his head in thought.  "It's happening across the river in New Jersey."

     "Everything is legal in New Jersey." He mumbled.  I bit my lip awaiting his answer. "Okay, so here's what you're going to do.  Stand there tall, like the man you are.  When the time comes fire your gun in the air."  He looked at me with worry.

     "But what if he decides to shoot?"  He shook his head.

     "If he's truly a man of honor he won't shoot.  Promise me you won't, you don't want this young man's blood on your conscience.  Your mother can't take another heartbreak Philip."  I nodded quickly.

     "Okay I promise."  My father grabbed his guns.

      "Come back home when you're done." He handed me his guns.  "Take my guns, be smart, make me proud son."  He kissed my forehead and hugged me tightly.  I nodded and walked out the door.  I mumbled things to myself, as we rowed across the Hudson.  I got to the dueling ground.  Mr. Eacker was standing with his group.

     "Mr. Eacker!  How was the rest of the show?" I asked politely. He turned smirking, then ignored my question.

     "Let's go." We met in the middle.  "grab your pistol, confer with your men."  I nodded in agreement.

      "The duel will commence after we count to ten."  We turned away and went to go meet with our group.  Our seconds met to try to resolve the conflict, but neither prevailed.  I took a deep breath and prayed that Mr. Eacker would be a man of honor.

    We took our place, and I remembered my father's advice

One, look him in the eye,   

Two, aim no higher.

Three, summon all the courage you require

Four, slowly and clearly,

Five, aim your gun,

Six, towards the sky,

Seven, a thunder bolt cracked.  

           My side started burning.  I dropped my gun and fell to the ground.  I let out a blood curdling scream.  Many people rushed to my side, but Mr. Eacker?  He was smiling.  He chuckled and walked away from the scene.  I questioned everything that happened.  Did I count wrong?  I started crying.  Tears and blood mixed.  I coughed up blood.  People were touching me, trying to calm me down, but I couldn't stop screaming.  I screamed until my throat was raw.