Black Friday, Cougar Style

Monday Special Read: Black Friday, Cougar Style

Copyright Terry Spear 2015

Special Agent for the U.S. Department of Fish and Wildlife Services, Tracey Whittington, takes down wildlife traffickers and more, but what she doesn't expect is to be in a shootout, multiple times, when the business turns deadly. Nor does she suspect she'll be working with Hal Haverton, who serves as a part-time deputy for Yuma Town, Colorado, and runs his own horse ranch. As long as he doesn't stop her investigative work—she has been placed on administrative leave due to the last shootout—she'll be just fine.

Hal Haverton has every intention of keeping the wild cat safe, even if it means helping her to solve the case when every time he turns around, she's involved in another shootout. When her boss asks their good friend, the sheriff, to have one of his deputies serve as a bodyguard for the cougar shifter, Hal's all for it. So is the other deputy, but Hal's got this covered. Even if getting somewhere with the lady means having his gun ready at all times. There are definite perks to getting to know the Special Agent better—if they live long enough to do something about it."I want to go with you to the mall in case anyone gets ugly," Hal Haverton said, pulling Tracey into his arms and holding her close.

He had to know she could deal with ugly people just fine. She wrapped her arms around his neck and smiled. "You just want to tagalong so you can learn what I'm getting for you for Christmas. Your mom told me how much you tried to discover what your Christmas presents were before Christmas Day. She said they had to come up with new hiding places every year."Hal laughed. "They weren't always successful."

"I know. That's why they had to find new hiding places. You didn't do a good job concealing your scent and always left a trail behind. So they knew you'd found your presents when you did. But you're not coming with me, mate of mine."

"What do you expect me to do here while you're fighting for your life over a few dollars savings?"

"Visit with my dad and yours. Between Dad's undercover stuff that he's not supposed to be involved in any longer, and your training to take down wildlife exploiters with me, you should have all kinds of things to talk about."

Hal sighed and kissed Tracey soundly. "I'd rather do more of this."

She smiled up at him. "We will. But later. We have to go. You hold down the fort and we'll be home soon. Hopefully." She kissed him again, but quickly pulled away, knowing that ploy. He would distract her to the point that she'd want to just stay here and skip all the holiday shopping madness. But not this year. This was her first year to shop for Hal for Christmas since meeting him shortly after New Year's and the shootout she'd been involved in. She'd been lucky he was a part-time deputy sheriff and a cougar.

Her twin sister shook her head at her. "Why can't I find a hot guy like that?"

Jessie never seemed to pick up the right guys. That's why.

Their mom was smiling at Tracey. "Are you sure Hal won't miss you too much?"

"Oh, he'll miss me. But then he'll appreciate me all the more when I return home after purchasing his Christmas gift."

"All right, let's go, ladies," their mother said, and Hal's mom sat with her in the middle seat, while Jessie drove her mom's car to the mall.