Chapter 3 - Unease

Shannon hears a someone calling her name as she walks out of the church, trailing behind her family. She turns, looking for the familiar voice. Spotting her best friend, Trisana, she turns and runs to her, arms spread for the hug she knew was coming.

“Eeek, he ask me, he really asked me!” Trisana squeals excitedly in Shannon’s ear, causing her to wince slightly.

“Alright, Trish, hun, you gotta slow down and tell me what you’re talking about.” Shannon says with a laugh in her voice.

“Ohmigosh, Shae, Jason asked me to prom! I’m soooo excited! Can you believe Jason Beaumont asked me to senior prom?!” Trish says excitedly, still squealing. The sound reminds Shannon of a baby pig, but she’d never say something so hurtful to someone. She notices a boy from their class watching them from the corner of her eye. She carefully takes him in while trying to keep up with Trish’s excited rambling. He was tall with dark hair and startling green eyes. She tried to recall his name, but came up blank. He was wearing a dark leather riding jacket and ripped jeans and was staring at her and Trish intently from the shadows. Curious about the boy, Shannon shifts Trish around to get a better view, noticing as he steps stealthily closer to them.

“I can’t wait! What will you wear, have you chosen your dress yet? Ohmigosh I can’t believe he asked me!” Shannon tunes back into Trish’s squeal just in time to hear the excited girl’s questions.

“Yes, yes, Trish, perhaps you should quiet down now? We’re starting to get looks,” Shannon states, glancing around carefully and seeing the boy smile when Trish glares at the people to which Shannon was referring.

“They’ll get over it! You’ve gotta learn to embrace the attention, Shay. And Besides, this is a once in a lifetime occurrence, how can you NOT be excited?”

“I understand that you’re excited, but really, Trish, Prom isn’t for another month, if you’re this excited now, how will you manage to keep control of yourself for twenty-eight more days?!” She can’t help but laugh at the thought of having to deal with an overly-excited Trisana for that long.

“Ohmigosh, I know, right?! I’m going to be sooooo eeesh!” Trish exclaims, ending her statement in another high-pitched screech. Shannon laughs once more before lacing her arm with Trish’s and walking away, being careful not to let herself glance back at the handsome boy. She feels his eyes on her as they stroll away arm-in-arm, Trish hopping slightly as they go.

Shannon walks with Trish to her car, giggling at her excited ramblings along the way. She gives her a long hug and closes the door after she slips carefully into the driver’s seat. Shannon steps back as Trish pulls out of the church parking lot, waving fervently as her best friend drives off.

After Trish is out of sight, Shae turns and walks slowly back to her family, her mind flashing to the strange man she saw earlier in the church. Shaking his image from her mind, she smiles brilliantly as her father approaches and hugs her.

“How’s my girl doing, you seemed a bit distracted during today’s Sermon.” He stares worriedly at her slightly-pale face.

“I’m fine, daddy, just still feeling a bit nauseous some days.” His eyes glint disturbingly at her words. Feeling uncomfortable under his intent gaze, Shannon shifts and pulls out of his arms, turning to greet the rest of the Sunday Church-goers.

~~~

He watches as the girl pulls away from her father and greets the remaining worshipers. He sees the way they stare at her, almost eagerly. They know, she’s the next one. He sees far greater potential in this one girl than in the entire congregation combined. They must have her.