Hang On

She holds onto life by a thin thread, and she knows it.
She knows it because of the thick taste of bile in her throat.
She knows it because of her rail-thin body, which has become harder and harder to hide from those who "care."
She knows it because she gets angry at those who try to help her.
She knows because she's been doing this for a long time.
At this point, she just knows.
She holds her hair back, being sure to be clean about the whole procedure.
She sits in front of that toilet for hours,
Staring into its no longer pristine bowl.
She sits on her ankles and stares at it, as if she is the worshipper and the toilet is her shrine.
She's been dry heaving for hours, and it hasn't shown signs of stopping..
Until now.
She rests for a moment, but then, she decides to get up.
She struggles at first, and once she finally gets up, she looks before she flushes and reminds herself that she is sick and disgusting. She rubs her sore knees and ankles and says an apology to them for having to hold up such a sick body, a dead weight.
She expects them to accept the apology.
They don't.
But then,
She flushes it down to be forgotten, pushed to the back of her mind, as a bright fake smile appears on her lips after she emerges from the bathroom.
She's telling the biggest lie of her life.
And everyone is believing it.