Chapter Twenty Five: Never Leave You

Dallas was pacing the hall while Derek sat in a chair. They were waiting for the doctor to finish talking to Natalia's parents.

Both parents were in the room with Natalia, who was fast asleep.

Dallas could remember the panic that had ensued when the school had called him. Apparently Derek had put his number on the list of emergency contacts for Natalia.

The school had told him they had been unable to reach either of her parents or Derek. Dallas had raced to the hospital, calling Derek on the way.

Both boys looked up when Derek's parents came out of the room with the doctor, who left on another errand.

“So what did he say?” Derek asked impatiently. “She's fine. They want her to stay for a few days. She needs rest.” Mr. Williams told his son. “They also said they will be giving her a different inhaler, I think her dosage will be changed.” Dallas heard Mrs. Williams say.

“So when can we go inside to see her?” Derek asked. Dallas had been waiting for him to ask that. “You can go now if you like, but she's sleeping.” Derek's mother replied.

“Nope, she's awake.” Derek said with a smile. The four of them headed into her room.

Dallas was shocked to see how small Natalia looked on the hospital bed. She had a drip that was in one arm. But other than that she looked fine.

Natalia smiled weakly as she looked at them. “I'm sorry...” She said to them. “For what?” Dallas heard Derek ask.

Dallas could feel himself becoming upset. It hurt to see Natalia this way. She looked so fragile.

“For getting sick...” Dallas looked up as he heard Natalia mumble this.

“You're being silly, dear. You can't control everything.” Mrs. Williams told her daughter. Natalia shrugged. “I wish I could.” She muttered.

Dallas smiled inspite of himself. It was just like Natalia to want to keep everything in her life in order.

Dallas watched as Natalia yawned.

“You need sleep, honey. We'll be back, okay?” Mr. Williams told his daughter. “Okay.” Natalia replied. She turned on to her side, careful of the drip leading in to her hand. Soon she was asleep.

The four walked out of her room.

“Dad, who's going to stay with her?” Derek asked his father. “That's a good question. I have to go to work...and so does your mother.” Mr. Williams thought out loud.

“I can't stay during the day, Dad, I work too.” Derek reminded his father. “We can take turns during the night.” Mrs. Williams told them.

“I can stay during the day.” Dallas told them quietly. “You have practice, Dallas. I wouldn't want you to suffer.” Derek's mother told him kindly.

“No it's fine. I can come right after practice. It's held early in the morning anyway, and the coach is leaving for Toronto in a few days, since the season is almost over.” He told Derek's parents.

“Are you sure?” Mr. Williams asked. “Yea, I'm sure. I can get some reading done, and you won't have to worry about Natalia being alone.” Dallas told them.

“Okay, then it's settled. Dallas will stay during the day, and we'll take turns during the night.” Mr. Williams said, he sounded happy at it working out.

“I'm going to go back to work, We'll see you both later.” Mr. Williams said, as he and his wife left, after checking in on Natalia once more.

Dallas and Derek sat outside Natalia's room, Dallas saw that she was still asleep.