XXVIII. The Calm Before The Storm

My eyes felt heavy and my mouth was dry as I cam steadily back in to conciousness. I groaned as I tried to open my eyes only to be almost blinded.

"Baby," I heard Alex as he quickly shuffled towards me, "you okay?" I slowly opened my eyes as I felt him wrap one of my hands inside both of his. I was greeted by concerned blue eyes and I tried to smile and nodded gently. Glancing around I found that I was laid on one of the sofas of the clubhouse. "Scared the hell out of me babe" Alex said softly, which led me to look back at him.

"I'm okay handsome" I smiled lightly as I ran a hand down the side of his face, he laughed gently before kissing my palm.

"You okay to talk?" I looked to Jax as he stood at the end of the sofa I laid on. I nodded and began to slowly pull myself up to sit, Alex supporting me. When I was upright and comfortable I could see that the whole club was sat around the tables close to me.

"What did he want sweetheart?" Bobby asked gently.

"He was asking about him" I replied, seeing all the boys exchange glances.

"Wha' bout him?" Chibs was the first to speak.

"Someone must have reported him missing a few months ago. Police didn't have any leads until they found out about his apartment in Lodi. Police searched it and it was full of pictures of me, they're searching his laptop harddrive he's sure they'll find more. He said it had been suggested that I might have had something to do with his disappearance" Alex scoffed as he shook his head in disbelief, "he tried to tone down the accusation, saying I did something out of fear. I don't know what to do" I could feel the tears starting. I couldn't believe this was coming back to haunt us, Alex and I were turning corners in our life just to be met with a dead end.

"Well they haven't found a body or he would have had a lot more questions for you" Jax said as he rubbed the side of his face.

"They can't pin anything on you babe" Alex sighed.

"I know" I replied squeezing his hand, "If they could he would have arrested me. I just can't believe that this is a part of my life again" I sighed.

"It'll be the end of it" Opie said confidently, "They haven't got a body so they can't tie you to anything, enquiry will just go cold" I wish I had his confidence. I had spent years trying to rid myself of the crazed man that had intruded on my life, but it would appear even dead he found a way to make my life hell.

I sat with the boys for another half an hour, making sure that we were all on the same page with our stories regarding him, as far as the boys were concerned they'd never met him and as I didn't know him well he'd never been mentioned. All I had to do was keep up the innocent and clueless act if it ever came up again, but the boys were fairly confident that the enquiry would just die down on its own.

A week later and it seemed like the boys might just have been right. I hadn't heard from or seen Sheriff Roosevelt again and everything seemed to be going back to normal. Fawn had spent a few days staying with me and Alex and it had done us all a world of good. Fawn and Alex had grown closer, they had an emotional conversation one night, they had both cried and they had both hugged and they had promised to make more time for each other. When she had left she had reaffirmed her promise to keep in touch, smirking when she told us she wouldn't stay away long because we would need her to help plan the wedding. I had grown closer to her as well and while I think we would both rather there wasn't a mother/daughter relationship between us, as there was only a slight age difference between us, we had built a friendship.