Chapter Two ☆ Sleep Deprived

If he wasn't waking up screaming, he wasn't sleeping at all.

Pearl had been going on and on about how important it is for him to be sleeping. And the dangers of not sleeping will do to his body.

But he couldn't take it anymore. The nightmares plagued him. There was no escape.

"Goodnight, Steven!" the gems would say every night before entering their rooms.

"Night guys!" Steven would flash a fake smile and wave.

He would then close his eyes and enter a horrific nightmare, or just not sleep at all. For the past week, he'd managed to keep up the facade.

But not sleeping came with side effects. And those he couldn't hide. He was irritable. Sometimes he wouldn't talk for hours. He was barley touching his food. He suffered with resilient headaches that wouldn't go with pain killers.

He thought he might even retreat into his gem. But it never happened.

"You okay?" Amethyst's voice tugged Steven out of his daze. "You look tired."

It was only a matter of time before someone noticed the heavy bags under his eyes.

He fell back on his bed. "I'm fine."

Amethyst paused the game and followed him down. On impact, Steven bounced up. "Garnet and Pearl have been busy with Peridot... but I haven't."

He rolled on his side away from her, knowing exactly where the conversation was going.

"I know about the nightmares," her tone changed. "I've been thinking... maybe you should stay with your dad? Just until Garnet and Pearl get back I mean."

Silence.

She sighed. "A few days away from the Temple might do you some good."

She waited for him to nod before getting up and calling Greg.

Steven sat up and hopped off his bed. He wore a frown as he stuffed some belongings into his burger bag. He listened to Amethyst whispering to his dad about the 'situation'.

He paused, biting his lip. He pulled up his shirt, like he always did when he wanted to feel a connection with his mom.

☆☆☆

Greg came to pick up his son as soon as he heard. He walked into the Temple with his shoulders slumped back. Seeing Steven sat on the couch, he flashed a smile.

Steven yawned and looked up. "Hey, Dad."

"Hey kiddo," he took a seat next to him. "How are you feelin'?"

He swung his legs, and found a sudden interest in the floor. "Fine."

"You ready to hit the road?"

Not really, he felt like saying. But he nodded his head and jumped up.

☆☆☆

It wasn't practical for Steven to stay in the back of a van. The plan was to get him to have a good night's sleep. Not keep him awake all night because he can't get comfortable.

Greg had rented a room in a motel for a couple nights. After parking up the van, he left Steven outside the room to collect the key.

"I'll be right back, don't move." Greg smiled and messed his hair up.

Steven nodded. His back sliding down the brick wall, his bottom touching the cold concrete.

The sun was setting behind the mountains in the distance. The day was over.

Closing his eyes for a couple minutes couldn't hurt him.

☆☆☆