Chapter Three ☆ Motel Scare

Upon finding his son slumped up against the wall, Greg scooped him up.

Greg figured he must've been really tired to fall asleep in such an uncomfortable position.

He was a lot lighter the last time he did this. With Steven in one hand and the key in the other, he struggled to put it through the hole.

He walked into the small motel room, putting Steven into bed.

"Goodnight, kiddo," he stroked his hair and tucked him in.

He wandered over to his own bed. The mattress wasn't that great, and the duvet was thin. It was probably a good thing that Steven fell asleep outside, the bed wouldn't have done him any favours.

Greg reached for the remote that sat beside the lamp on his bedside table. He pressed down on the on button, and turned the television down to 5.

☆☆☆

Greg checked his watch. 5 am. He'd have to go to bed now if he wanted any chance of getting some sleep.

Steven began to toss and turned violently in his sleep, his little whimpers could be heard over the TV.

"Steven?" He called to his son, not sure if he was awake or not.

He clambered out of his warm bed and made his way over to Steven's. The half-gem was soaked in sweat.

Panic shook the older man. He didn't know what to do. He'd never been in this kind of situation before. When Steven was younger he'd have the occasional bad dream. And he'd usually sing to calm him down. But it didn't look like it was going to work this time.

"It's okay," he lightly shook him in attempt to wake him. "It's okay."

Thankfully, he started stir. His long eyelashes fluttered as he opened his big brown eyes.

"Dad," he said groggily, feeling like he hadn't slept.

Greg sighed in relief and helped him sit up.

Steven put his head in his hands. "I'm sorry dad, I'm sorry."

Greg soothingly rubbed his son's back, feeling helplessness. It was the same way he felt when Rose died.

"Why are you sorry?" he chuckles nervously, afraid of the answer that would leave his lips.

"It's just a nightmare! Why am I so afraid of nightmares?!"

Greg wanted to have the answer to all of Steven's questions. But this time, he didn't.

"Nightmares are scary things," he nudged him to lift his head up. "They can feel so real."

Steven slowly rose his head out of his arms, but still didn't say anything.

"Hey," Greg smiled. "Remember when I used to sing you songs when you got scared?"

Steven's mouth twitched as he nodded. "Your number one hit?"

"Some, say I have no direction," he started, jumping onto his bed.

"No, dad,"

"That I'm a light speed distraction. That's a knee-jerk reaction," he continued, playing the air guitar. "Still, this is the final frontier. Everything is so clear, to my destiny I steer,"

"This life in the stars is all I've ever known," Steven sang, reluctantly joining in.

Greg jumped off the bed and grabbed Steven's hands, trying to pull him up. "Stars and stardust and infinite space is my only home..."

Steven let himself be pulled up by his dad, forgetting the exhaustion and bad dream. In just a few hours, Greg would have to take his son to the Temple.

But for now, it was just him and Steven. He was back to his old self. Even if it was only for a short time, just whilst he sang with his dad, he was Steven again. And that's all that mattered.

☆☆☆