I Hate my Father

My father is a loving, caring man. I absolutely despise him.

When I was 6 he became a single parent. That's when my hatred began. People quickly noticed. They would ask if he did 'bad things' to me at home, even accused him of it. He didn't. Others asked if it was because he didn't spend enough time with me anymore, as he had to start working double shifts in my mother's absence. Truth is, he tried as much as he could.

When I was 11, we visited the shopping mall. Walking through the kiosks, he glanced over his shoulder just to see a beautiful, even though not too expensive, metal wrist watch. He set down an empty pickle jar in his room, and he would put all of his spare change in it. There would even be $1 bills sometimes. After some months, he saved enough. We went back to the shopping mall, and I mentioned I had always wanted a Game Boy. He decided I was more important than his stupid watch, and bought it for me.

When I was 16 he met a woman. He had a hard time at first, feeling he was betraying his long gone wife. After a few weeks, they started dating normally. He was happy again. I didn't accept their relationship. I had some talks with my father, where he tried to make me see that she was a good person. I knew she was. My one argument would always be "It's hard seeing you with someone that's not mom", but to be honest, that never bothered me. Heartbroken, he ended their relationship, as he always put me first.

When I was 6 my mom died in an accident. I couldn't understand how the woman I loved the most in the world, who had been there for and with me since the day I came to this world, was gone from my life from one moment to another. The pain was too much, and I'd often think how I wouldn't have had to go through this grief if I hadn't loved her as much as I did. It might've even been a happy time if I had hated her.

I don't know when my dad will leave this world too, but it'll happen one day, that's for sure, and all I know is I can't go through the same pain again.

Dad, you're the best man I have ever known. I hate you.