24; the devil's sacrifice

n o t e

hey, guys! this chapter contains a little bit of dark themes that might cause triggers. the rest of the chapter might confuse you and it has to be that way, so please bear with me.

anyways, enjoy x

sky

﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏

twentyfour

the devil's sacrifice

CAIN SLUNG HIS bag higher up his shoulder as he reached for his keys. It was past one in the morning and he just got off from work at Slingshot, still quite pissed that Dexter made him foot the bill for something he didn't do.

A guest didn't pay for his motherfucking alcohol by means of running away, and the fact that the bastard had been drinking there for three hours straight completely broke his heart. Pretty sure the dude was from somewhere around the area, though. Probably even attending Hackett since he looked about his age.

Whatever, there was no use now anyway.

One workmate told him to get a sub-rosa refund, which was quite a tempting proposal. But that would just point him to having a pink slip should Dexter know he was fucking off behind his back. He didn't want to break the guy's trust because even if he was like the stupid bitch at work, Dexter had managed his way in to his good books. Plus, he couldn't risk it. The money was too good there and he needed it for Jude.

He let out a sigh as he shut the door firmly behind him. Tossing his backpack to the couch in the living room, he marched further into his apartment in the direction of the kitchen, all the while removing his upper clothing down on the floor as if leaving trails.

By the time he was striding towards the countertop, he was already half-naked.

"I've been waiting for−"

"Motherfucking−" Cain's heart leaped out of his chest and turned apace, only to see Arthur leaning against the doorway with his arms folded across his chest. He'd let out a wicked smirk, only to redo a straight face when he realized Cain was royally browned off. "Dude, what the fuck? You scared the shit out of me!"

Arthur let out a chuckle with a shrug.

"Jesus, don't go sneaking up on me like that. I almost had a heart attack." He scowled at him, shooting one hand out to reach for the box of cereal. He hadn't gone out for groceries and now he was really starving like a mad animal. "Why're you still up anyway? We could barely even chat since we're both busy so I didn't expect you'd−"

"I'm moving out." Arthur walked into the kitchen and sat on one of the bar stools.

"Wait, you're leaving?" Cain arched his eyebrow, shifting a little to reach for a small bowl hidden in the cupboard before tinkering around to look for a spoon. "Why? You were shitting with me at the bar but I didn't ask you to leave. That's what girls do and I'm not one of them. For good measure, though, wanna see my pe−"

"Finish that sentence and I will fucking kill you."

Cain rolled his eyes, as he started to dig into his super boring food. He was just glad enough the milk wasn't curdled. "Man, what's your deal, really? I think it's total bullshit that you assume we'd grown out of our Rockstring love affair−"