Prologue

Welcome to another one of my stories! And thanks to all who read Hitman's Hoax and those who gave me this idea and helped!

Also this is being entered in a competition by Inkitt cause why not?

https://www.inkitt.com/stories/mystery/76552?ref=a_d506bbc3-e8e4-452d-b067-0fe0e1ec1f92

(^ Link to it on Inkitt if you wanted to see it)

-Jaz

~~~~

Prologue

It was all just a prank.

No one was actually supposed to die.

But nothing goes as planned at Crestwell High.

~~~~

If you asked any of them how the fight started, they wouldn't have had a specific answer. But somehow a bunch of students got in a fight. Nothing new. It happened a lot, too often to keep track.

These brawlers rarely spoke outside of their fights, keeping to themselves or only talking to one or two others. They were neither friends nor mortal enemies. But when two pissed each other off, the others joined in, and there was no going back. They would go all out while their classmates cheered them on.

Welcome to Crestwell High.

~~~~

A whistle blew and the swimmers dove into the pool. Water splashed as they swam, and as they did boy watching the bleachers sighed to himself. He watched the swimmers finish and climb out the pool, yearning to drop his own stuff and dive in. He paused, considering doing just that after they left. Since it was still winter, it would be a long while before public pools open.

"You should actually join us instead of just watching for once, Matteo," Daniel told him, walking over. He stared up at Matteo while drying his hair with a towel.

Matteo shook his head as he always did when they had this conversation. "My answer still isn't changing." With that said he stood and grabbed his bag.

"I don't understand why you won't swim," Daniel said coming to stand beside Matteo, successfully soaking the floor beneath him. "You used to like it; we would go swimming all the time."

Matteo stood and ran a hand over his shaved head, temporarily forgetting the hair wasn't there (unfortunately, he'd lost a bet to Daniel). He ignored Daniel's small smirk toward the action and then spoke. "You're the younger brother, Danny, I don't have to tell you." He started to walk away but Daniel followed.

"I'm only two years younger than you, Matt. You can tell me things," Daniel continued.

"Just tell mom I said hi, " Matteo responded bitterly. Daniel grabbed his arm and stared into his brother's dark eyes.

"Did something happen with dad?"

"He's my dad not yours," Matteo said pulling his arm away. Daniel stood stunned as Matteo stormed out. He walked briskly down the hall trying to calm himself. Finally he paused, staring back down the hallway and considering going back to apologize, but he wasn't sure that he could do so without snapping again. He scratched his arms nervously before shaking his head. He took a deep breath and kept walking, staring down at his shoes. He would have to apologize to Daniel later.

~~~~

"You can't keep doing this, Riley," Mr. Simmons told his nephew. "I can't always get you out of detention."