A Crime

It had rained the whole day. The heavy downpour early in the afternoon had lightened to a miserable drizzle that did not look like it was to stop any time soon. I sighed as I turned back to the television. It was a Sunday evening and my parents had  went out. I was alone at home. I burst into laughter as I watched the hilarious comedy sitcom.

I heard men talking in hushed tones. Out of inquisitiveness, I peeped out of the window. I saw two men trying to unlock the door of my neighbour's house! I gasped in horror. They must be robbers who are trying to rob my neighbor, Mr. Tan. What should I do? A myriad of questions swirled in my mind.

Finally, I mustered up my courage and called the police. I told them the address and they told me that they would come there as fast as possible. I peeped out again. I did not see the robbers. The doors were open. They must have managed to get inside.

Within a few minutes, I could hear the wails of a police car siren. As they came near my house, I told them which house it is which is being ransacked. The police officers entered the house. They saw the robbers rummaging through the cupboards. They were caught red-handed.

We came to know that this was the first time the robbers have committed such a heinous crime and so let them off with a stern warning. The consequences were meted out to them. They resolved to turn over a new leaf. As soon as we called Mr. Tan, he arrived in a few minutes. I told him about the whole incident. He was stupefied. Mr. Tan thanked me profusely. The police commended me for my civic-mindedness.

One hour later, my parents arrived home. I narrated the whole incident to my parents. They were proud of me. I vowed to be always civic-minded.