PLAY FORWARD X 8

Yamaguchi Tadashi found himself yet again face to face with a situation that should have belonged smack right in the middle of a drama. Instead, Yamaguchi was smack right in the middle of the reality of life, and whereas characters in TV dramas are almost always assured of a happy ending and mind boggling miracles that would secure that happy ending for them, the former jump float server was left with nothing but uncertainty; sometimes even self doubt. The reality of the situation itself makes it all the more that hard to believe in, and Yamaguchi still has yet to be used to Tsukki who always forgets that they're actually already boyfriends when the next day comes.

"Couldn't you think of a funnier joke?" Tsukishima taunted him with a mocking expression on his flawless face, his lips curved up in this lopsided smile, his voice laced with disdain.

Yamaguchi didn't mind and even tolerated it when such a face was directed at others, like Hinata. But now that it was directed at him, it hurt. He should have been used to Tsukki's sarcastic sneers already, but today was really a bad time, and as Tsukki looked at him like that, he felt like his chest was being clawed raw.

A part of the freckled pinch server was also already getting tired of this. Every time, this is what makes him hesitate to visit because he's already getting tired of unnecessarily getting hurt. He asks himself why he even tries most of the time. But he couldn't forgive himself for what happened, and for even feeling tired. He misses Tsukki. Every day. A lot. And there's also a part of him-the part of him that makes his heart ceaselessly beat with feeling for Tsukki-that just won't make him let go that easily.

He won't give up yet. Not without a fight. Besides, he's already experienced this scenario a lot of times to finally be able to formulate an argument that (hopefully) Tsukki would accept, whether the former middle blocker wanted to or not.

"But that's it, Tsukki. Can't a joke be any more ridiculous?"

With that said, Yamaguchi was silently driving the point home that if he was lying, then he could have fabricated a more convincing lie. But what happened, happened, and to Tsukki, he just can't manage to lie to him with a straight face.

Now that Tsukki looked at least a bit more serious than he was earlier, Yamaguchi found this as an opportunity to urge his best friend further.

"Just look at the notebook, Tsukki," Yamaguchi eyed the splayed notebook from the hospital that his best friend carelessly tossed on the bed without as much as a second look at it the moment the freckled former pinch server arrived.

"Scan it for a few minutes at least," he nudged Tsukishima about it again, "I'll just get us some tea from downstairs. It looks like you've already cooped yourself up for a long time in here..."

The proof of that was the glowing light from the game console, which meant that it was still plugged in and was only recently used though it was turned off. Although he was the guest, Yamaguchi actually doesn't mind doing the errand that he has set for himself, since he also wanted to give Tsukki his space to give him some time to think after the former pinch server just dropped the bomb on him.

Another thing is that Yamaguchi hoped the notebook would do the rest for him, especially since the words in there were written with Tsukki's penmanship itself- not that that would be enough to convince his best friend but, it wouldn't hurt to try, right?

As Yamaguchi soundlessly let himself out Tsukishima's bedroom door, the last things he heard and saw were his best friend "tch"-ing and finally flipping through the pages. Treading softly down the wooden stairs, the former jump float server allowed his lips to slightly curve in a lonely smile.

~~~~

Yamaguchi still remembered how he received that particular notebook which deceivingly seemed similar to the rest. But he couldn't be more mistaken about it as the doctor assigned to his best friend eagerly relayed what happened for the rest of that day to the freckled high schooler.