Picking Up All The Missing Pieces

PROLOUGE

She was the most beautiful girl I’ve ever seen in my life. She had those eyes that shined like the stars, the most wonderful things they are. Her eyes fluoresce whenever it would meet the striking glare of the sun. It was as blue as the midnight sky. Her nose would always crinkle when she laughed. Whenever she laughed, she would sound like angel’s harmonizing in my ear. When I would caress her cheek, it would feel like delicate silk.  She smelled like vanilla, the sweetness of it entering my nose everytime she came close to me. I would always savor that smell. We had made promise rings, to live the life of never hurting each other, never fighting with each other and lastly to love each other even through those ups and downs. She was my one and only love. But as the days past, I knew I couldn’t move on without her. That bastard with the reprobate behavior took it all away, just in a blink of an eye. I knew I should have left him by the sidewalk that night. But she wouldn’t let me, I’m actually starting to think that she still has feelings for him. But I knew this day would come without a doubt. Many guys would come running after her. I’ve seen her text messages, all coming from the bastard. After years of having a steady relationship, we slowly drifted apart. She started going to occasions with our closest friends without me. She even started lying to me about her whereabouts. Sometimes, she wouldn’t come home, she would always say that she had to stay late at work for some important thing. But I knew exactly what she was doing. I could see her car parked at his house when I come home from my job. My heart would shatter into a million pieces whenever I see them secretly dating. I’ve been wanting to tell Alex about it since I first heard about it. But I couldn’t. My friends were her friends, but as soon as I tell Alex, word would spread; fast. So I decided to keep it with myself instead of making a fool out of myself. She betrayed me, but I couldn’t betray her. She had led me through all the doubts and brought a smile to my face. She was always there for me since we were 5. 

Funny to say, but we first met in the butcher shop. Our mother’s were choosing a selection of meat. My mother was holding my hand but I signalled her to let go so that I could look around. She agreed and let me go. I roamed around the shop, touching the refrigirator and sticking my cheek on to it. Until I heard a bell ring signalling that there is a new customer. I removed my cheek from the refrigirator and looked to see who was there. Standing there was a beautiful girl, dressed in pink with white shoes. She wore tons of bracelets danggling at her wrist. She kept jumping, up and down until her mother would free her. Her mother freed her from her hand and left to the other side of the shop, where they sold pre-cut meat. I hid behind the cabinet of spices, watching her every movement. She had blonde locks that flowed down her back and a braid right on the top. I wanted to go and approach her. Yes, I am that kind of boy. So I tried. One foot at a time, I made my way to her, but suddenly she turned around and saw me. She looked at me suspiciously then turned around to run back to her mom. ”Sorry.” I apologized and returned to my mother in humiliation. “Let’s go honey.” My mom said. I nodded in agreement and took one last glance at her, and left.

“Mommy, can we go to the park? Please?” I asked her politely so that she could agree in an instant. She looked at me with eyes of question. I knelt down by her feet and positioned myself in a begging manner. I place my hands together and pouted with my best puppy eyes. She rolled her eyes and agreed, she schlepped me up and walked to the play room. “Chase, you’re getting heavier by the pound!” I giggled softly and played with my mother’s earrings in my petite little hands. 

“Arms up!” My mother demanded. 

I raised my arms as she threw on a shirt on me. At this time of the year, leaves fall and the weather is partly chilly. Many people fly kites in the air and hot air balloons rise from every direction. I loved this time of the year. I remember the first time I have rode on one of those hot air balloons, we rode on the hot air balloon that had Darth Vader as the balloon. I was overjoyed. We flew around the city as sunset came. It was beautiful, I long the day when I could ride it again. In my opinion, the see-saw was the best part of the park. I love how we swing up and down by pushing the ground alternately with our feet. When I was the one up in the air, I enjoyed the view of the park, and the wind blowing my hair away. We had 3 see-saw’s in the park, one see-saw was pink, the other was blue, an the last was green. My favorite was the green one. The color was bright, it almost looked like emeralds. But sadly, I don’t have a partner. Usually, it would be my mom, but nowadays, it’s just me, alone. Every kid would look at me and start to stifle a laugh, I just always remember to hold in my anger and shame as because I might make a fool of myself. 

I see-sawed on my own today, I pushed the ground and I rose up but there was no one to hold me up. I sighed. I pushed up once again and closed my eyes to breathe in the scent. Then suddenly I didn’t feel my feet touch the ground. I was curious, so I opened my eyes to see the exact same girl from the butcher shop sitting at the other side of the see-saw. I smiled playfully and continued. Finally, the park was closing and I was getting ready to leave until I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned back and she was there. I blushed massively and tried to hide it. She laughed at me and said, “Hi. I’m Beatrice.” She held out her hand, waiting for my reply. “I’m Chase. Nice to meet you.” I held her hand and shook it. We both blushed and laughed, after that her mom scheduled a play-date for us. And that is how we met.