Welcome Home

Maine opens the door to her bedroom, smiling at the sight of the familiar walls and comforting smell. After almost four days of their whirlwind Morocco shoot, she was beat. She barely slept on the plane because she was jetlagged and all she wanted to do was crawl under the covers of her snuggly bed and hibernate. But first, she had to shower. It's a habit that she picked up from Alden, never going anywhere near her bed in her outside clothes.

She takes a warm shower, the thought of burrowing into her plushy pillows making her hurry. Afterwards, she puts on her cosiest pj's, draws her curtains closed, and turns off her voice-activated lights. Complete and utter darkness envelops her room. She sits on her bed and picks up her phone.

"RJ, I'm home. I'm so sleepy, babe. Di ko na mahihintay tawag mo. How was your show in Baliuag kanina? I'll call you when I wake up, ok? I love you."

She peppers her message with kissy faced emojis because she knows how much he likes that before she flops down on her bed. She doesn't even bother lifting the covers. Her silky soft sheets feel like heaven. She shifts on her side to hug the pile of pillows under her comforter.

She screams her head off when the pile of pillows hugs her back.

She scrambles off the bed and lands butt-first on the carpeted floor.

"Lights on! Lights on!"

The room is flooded in yellow light and it takes her eyes a few seconds to adjust to the sudden brightness.

When she can see properly, she screams again. This time, in delight. Because sitting on her bed, with disheveled bedhead and a sleepy smile on his face is her boyfriend.

"Surprise!" he croaks in a sleep-heavy voice.

"RJ!"

She stands up and walks over to him, his arms are spread wide open to receive her hug. He gets whacked on the head with a pillow instead.

"Gago ka! Tinakot mo ko!"

"Aray! Aray! Menggay, masakit. Tama na!"

"Masakit din yung pwet ko, gago! Nahulog ako sa kama!"

"Awww. Lika na, lika na."

He pulls her to him and buries his face in her stomach, one hand around her hip and the other rubbing soothing circles on her sore butt.

"Kinocomfort mo ba ko o chinachansingan?" she asks him deadpan.

"Pwede both?"

She flicks his ear. He gives her a huge, boyish grin.

"Namiss kita, baby ko."

She rolls her eyes. She can never resist his lambing.

She smooshes his face in between her hands and coos, "namiss din kita, kulit. Kahit almost one day lang tayo hindi nagkita." She then rains kisses all over his face, making them both giddy.

"Teka, pano ka pala nakapasok dito?"

He was about to answer when she lets out a huge yawn.

"Mamaya mo na alamin. Matulog ka muna."

He scoots over as she climbs in bed with him. They lie down, legs automatically tangling together. She snuggles into him, the top of her head tucked under his chin, their arms tight around each other. He pulls the comforter over both of them then kisses her forehead.

"Sleep, Menggay."

She closes her eyes, feeling warm in his embrace. It was good to be home.

**********

photo © Mark Sablan | IG