The Emerald Eye

Steve breathed in the smell of dust and old books. Theos had set up an area in the middle of his study, work benches and cauldrons strewn about. On one table he had laid out all of the treasures Steve had recovered from the Nether. Steve, Jameson, Jack, Lucas, and Alex stood around the workspace with the old wizard.

"My, my," he breathed, examining the relics on the table. He gingerly picked up one of the blaze rods with his gloved hands, informing the group, "You know, witches used to use these to brew their potions. They can heat any liquid to extremely high temperatures quickly, even through glass. Supposedly, there are still some witches out there with 'em, but I haven't seen any."

"Yeah, the hut I can only assume belonged to Tori was completely abandoned when we peeked in there," commented Jack. "If she had any, they've likely been claimed by the desert by now."

"That's fine," assured Theos. "This will be quite enough. Though, on that note, you'll want to take these with you. Some legends say it will take multiple eyes of ender to open the portal, so just in case you need to convert more pearls, you'll be prepared."

"Well, show us what to do," said Steve. Theos ushered them closer.

"Now, I've ground one if these rods up into a powder," he explained, "though if you press a solid rod to an ender pearl, it should have close to the same effect. From what we know, if an enderman ever needs to get back to a portal in a hurry, they can use the map hidden within every pearl. We think they use their energy to activate them-- how they use them still isn't super clear. However, study of ender pearls has revealed that extreme heat brings forth some sort of map.

"Nothing short of a heat rod has ever fully brought forth a complete map, though. According to ancient texts, some heat rods held over from the First Age did reveal maps, however. So please be cautious, that's all we're going on: a bunch if old dusty books. Then again, that's all most of us go on anyways. Would the lady from the old dusty books like to offer up any advice beyond what I've just said?"

All eyes turned to Alex. She just shook her head. "I can't think of anything to add. I've only come into contact with one, and that was a while ago. The witch who had it had already created it, and I assume she used heat rods. They're evil things, though. Whatever dark magic that's in the Ender Dragon is in these eyes as well. However we use these, I recommend caution." Everyone nodded gravely at this. Whatever Alex said, she meant.

Steve stepped closer. "Continue, Theos." The magician smiled.

"With pleasure," he replied. He used metal tongs to lift the red hot bowl containing the powder. "Pearl, please," he requested. Steve looked to Lucas, who reached into a small bag and pulled out the small emerald stone. He handed it over to Steve, who turned it over in his hands. He felt the raw power of the pearl, and though he had never used it per the many, many warnings found in the texts, he often imagined how it might feel to harness the stone's power. He could just faintly see it: a brooding purple storm deep beneath the sea green exterior.

After a moment's passing, he set the Ender pearl in front of Theos. The latter man poured the powder onto the stone, which instantly began crackling and popping. He quickly grabbed a metal rod and ground the powder into the stone. Suddenly, markings began appearing on the surface.

"It's calibrating to its surroundings!" cried Theos. "Quick, somebody, hand me the map!" Steve pushed over the large map that stretched from the eastern seaboard to the Greater Deserts to the beginnings of the northern wastes. Theos had been confident that a stronghold would be located somewhere within that area.

Sure enough, the older man recognized the landmarks almost instantly. "Of course!" he cried, sprawling on top of his own map. "It looks to be nestled near the ancient city of Isgoliath. It's far enough south that you should be able to enjoy the warmer weather we'll start getting-- hopefully no more snow for this adventure!"