Thirteen

Just then Luke appeared from the hallway, having heard only that sentence, thankfully. He was confused, but he put on a smile. "Hey, I didn't know you were here," he greeted Magnolia warmly but his words held a certain hostility toward Calum and Michael.

"All my other friends were busy," she explained playfully.

Luke was a little hurt because she hadn't even bothered asking him what he was up to, even though he was busy, nor had she told him she was at his house. "So you got stuck with these guys?" He joked, and Michael mocked him.

"Eh, they're pretty alright," Magnolia kept up. She could feel a thick, awkward air, but everyone was pretending not to notice.

Luke just smiled and nodded and continued into the kitchen to put his lunch leftovers in the fridge, and Magnolia followed. "I haven't been here very long," she told him even though he didn't ask.

He didn't want to seem annoyed because he really shouldn't be, but he was still hung up on what he had heard when he first came in. He took a deep breath turning around to face Magnolia. "I heard what you said about not being able to promise me anything..."

Magnolia's face twisted, trying to understand what he was asking. She felt no guilt about him having heard her, she's just hoping he tells her what he wants to know so she can explain.

Luke took Magnolia's silence and apparent confusion as her way of playing dumb. "Listen, if you don't like me or whatever or want to spend your time with someone else like Michael, just tell me. It won't hurt my feelings," he spoke forcefully. Of course it would hurt his feelings.

"What? No, that's not what I want. I just," she sighed. "I'm just concerned that you're getting your hopes up, and I'm really good at disappointing people."

Luke's tense shoulders fell, and he frowned. He took a step closer to Magnolia, "I'm okay with taking that chance."

Magnolia couldn't even explain what that meant to her. It felt so good to have someone tell her that. She just smiled up at Luke, but he could see a pain in her eyes. Impulsively, he hugged her, and her head fell against his chest.

"Do you wanna talk about it?" He asked after they had pulled apart.

Magnolia looked toward the living room where Michael and Calum were. "A different time."

Luke nodded, and they both returned to the others.

"Took you long enough," Calum teased dryly.

Magnolia 'accidentally' bumped his head with her elbow when she walked by. "Ow!" He yelled, dramatically over-exaggerating.

"Whoops," she said lightly and insincerely.

"So are you gonna ditch us for him now?" Michael asked, not the least bit offended if she did.

She shrugged, not really having thought about that, and looked up at Luke with raised eyebrows, questioning what he thought. "Would you want to?" He asked.

"We could," she looked back at Michael and Calum, "if you wouldn't mind." She felt a little badly, but she's sure they get it.

"Not at all. Please, just free us from the agony that is your company," Calum joked, again. He smiled widely. He hopes Luke keeps her around because she's fun to mess with-- mostly because she'll give it right back.

"Okay, sassy pants." She and Luke got up and headed for the door, though neither of them knew where they were going. She turned to Luke, "I don't actually want to go anywhere. Especially not with you..."

Luke wondered if he'd heard her correctly. "Wha--"

"Oh, no! Not like that, just like in the sense that you attract a lot of attention," she clarified, feeling horribly about how she'd worded that.