Fifteen

"What'd you think of Gretchen?" He asked, scooting closer. He could tell he was making Magnolia feel uneasy, but he also knew that it wasn't in a bad or uncomfortable way. He's not really sure what he's doing. He's not especially attracted to Magnolia. That's not to say she's not attractive, because she definitely is, but she's just another girl. Beauty is nothing new to Calum.

"She seems cool, a little reckless and spontaneous." Magnolia has to admit that she does like Gretchen. She'd always wondered how these girls get to be so confident and collected. Gretchen can't be more than two years older than Magnolia, but she seems so wise.

"Yeah, she's fun." Calum said, not really having just paid attention to what Magnolia said. She's looking at the art on the walls (or at least what she can see of it), and he's trying to figure out when she'll eventually look at him, because he knows she knows she'll have to.

Magnolia opened her mouth to say something but promptly shut it. Calum laughed, and she looked over at him to find him staring. He just smiled.

"Do you hate this?" He asked, curling his lips.

"Do I hate talking to you? No," Magnolia thought. She looked at him with a confused expression, hoping he would clarify.

"Being here. Do you hate being here?" He hoped she'd say yes.

She winced. "A little bit, yeah."

"Then let's go," he stood up and faced her.

"Where?" She asked, turning her body so she too could stand.

"I don't know. Anywhere." He put his hand out for Magnolia to grab as she stood up.

They said good-bye to Calum's friends their short-lived time together, and Gretchen waved, winking again at Magnolia. A pit grew in her stomach as she followed Calum out.

Instead of getting his car, he kept walking. He's trying to be nice to her, but in doing so, he's kind of being a dick friend to Luke.

They walked down the sidewalk, not knowing or caring where they were headed, and each had a pep to their step. Calum told story after story, and Magnolia laughed.

"That looks like something," Calum said, stopping and pointing through a window.

Inside, they could see a small stage with a single person on it. The crowd consisted of groups of two to four sitting at tables, and they all looked like they were enjoying the show.

"Let's go!" Magnolia grabbed Calum's hand and dragged him to the door.

They were greeted by a young waiter in jeans and a flannel as soon as they walked in, and Calum asked for a table in the back. "Also," he added, "could you tell us what's going on here?"

"This is a comedy club, and it's open mic night," the guy said plainly. "Can I get you guys anything?"

Calum looked over at Magnolia, silently asking what she'd like. She couldn't think of anything, so she just shrugged.

"We'll have two burgers and fries to share," he informed the waiter.

Magnolia bit her lip and smiled while looking ahead at the performer. He was funny, and so were the next five people that came up after him. The two had finished their food, and the string of comedians had ended, so they decided to head back.

"Thanks for tonight. It was fun," Magnolia said reminiscently as Calum pulled into the parking lot where Magnolia had left her car.

"Yeah, it was. I had a good time," Calum smiled and studied Magnolia as she sat in the seat next to him. She didn't reach for the door handle for a few more seconds until she decided she better not carry on any longer.

"Goodnight," she said as she closed the door.

"Night!" Calum yelled back, and he drove home.

------------------------

The next weeks flew by. Magnolia's portion of the album was finished, but she still went into the studio with them once in a while. They liked to have her opinion. Aside from that, she'd spent nearly equal time alone with Calum and Luke. To her knowledge, no one but Calum knew about the time they spent together, and that made her feel even more guilty. She's not necessarily with Luke, but she knows he'd like her to be and that he's solely interested in her.

She's not with Calum either, and she's not sure Calum would even want that. It's all so confusing. When she's with Luke, she only wants to be with Luke and forgets about Calum. But when she's with Calum, Luke seems to melt away.

Calum keeps her on her toes, and Luke doesn't keep her guessing. They're two different people, and it's tearing Magnolia apart.

Magnolia and Calum were sitting in his car, looking out across the lit-up city after a night out, listening to a new band Calum had recently found.

"What's this one called?" Magnolia asked, staring out the window into the dazzling array of lights.

Calum pulled his phone up and unlocked the screen as Magnolia bent over to look at the title and cover art. She nodded as Calum locked his phone, and they looked up at each other at the same time.

Neither of them really knew what was happening until it happened. Their lips had met, and Magnolia strained against her seatbelt to reach him better. She unbuckled herself and leaned across the console while Calum's hands ran through her hair.

She pulled back, wide-eyed and breathing deeply. "Luke can't find out about this," she whispered and searched Calum's eyes for a sign of understanding.

He just nodded and pulled her back to him. His mind was a buzz. He's liked having Magnolia around lately, but he never really thought much more of it. Without wanting to seem conceited, he had picked up on the idea that Magnolia might be falling for him a little bit, and he felt guilty, but figured if he didn't reciprocate too much, she'd get the hint.

Something must have happened along the way that he wasn't aware of because he feels everything right now. This kiss is what he's been waiting for, and he didn't even know it. It was unexpected, like a spark of inspiration. That's not to say it was sloppy, some of his best work has come from ideas jotted down on airplane napkins. It was a thrill, kissing her.

Magnolia tugged at the ends of his hair, and he squeezed her back, pulling her closer each time. He couldn't get enough, and to Magnolia, Calum was the only thing in the world right now. They stopped when they realized the music had ended, but they didn't know how long it had been since that happened.

Each looking a little frazzled, they chuckled at their impulsivity.

Calum took Magnolia home, and she laid on her bed, staring at the ceiling before she got up and opened her friend's door. She entered silently and approached the bed. "Bree," she whispered. "Bree, are you awake?" She tried again. "Bree, I kissed Calum, and I don't know what to do." Bree groaned and slapped through the air at Magnolia. "Go to sleep," she whined, just barely understandable.

"'Kay, good talk. Thanks," Magnolia whispered again, and she went back to her room.