Getting to Know R

Time skip

We woke up and I looked at the boy. "We're hungry." I told him. "Look, just let us go." Julie told him.

"Not safe." He said. "Not safe? Not safe." She said.

"Can you go and get us some food?" I asked and looked at us. "Please, we'd be very grateful for some food." I told him, then he left to get us some. Julie suddenly ran out and I followed her.

"Julie, he said it wasn't safe." I told her and we saw a lot of corpses, then we hid, before I felt a hand on my shoulder, then turned to see the boy. "Don't run." He told us, before hiding our scent again and we pretended we were dead, then he took us to find food.

"Hey, Jenny, find anything?" Julie asked and I kept looking. "Yup, look." I showed her the can of fruit cocktail and we grabbed two, before he took us back to the plane, then we ate.

I saw him staring at me, then he noticed, so he walked away and came back with two bottles of beer, which we took. "Thank you." I told him, then we opened them and took a drink. "I forgot how good this was." I gasped.

"Guess you can't be so bad, Mr. Zombie." Julie said and I smacked her arm. "My name." He said and I looked at him.

"You have a name?" I asked and he nodded. "What is it?" "R." He managed to answer.

"It starts with an R?" My sister asked and he nodded, then after a few failed attempts of finding out what his name is we decided to just call him R. "Well, I'm Jennifer and this is my sister, Julie." I told him.

"Jen." He said and I smiled. "I know its long, so call me that if you want." I told him. "J."

I chuckled at the new nickname. "I get two nicknames in the strangest situations." I said and my sister laughed with me, then I looked at his records. "We want to go home R." She told him.

"Not safe." He told her. "Have to wait. They.... They'll notice." He said.

"How long?" I asked. "Few days. They'll forget. You'll be okay." He answered.

"Are there others like you?" I asked and he shrugged. "We've never heard a corpse talk before." I told him.

"Apart from the groaning." Julie added. "That's not talking." I coughed into my fist and she gave me a playful glare.

He took us to a parking lot and I started to drive the red car I found. "This is awesome." I said as the wind blew in my hair. "Jules, your turn." I told her and we switched.

"You want to try, R?" They switched and we showed him how to drive, but when he parked he hit a pole. We went back to the plane and we ate, then I saw a guitar so I grabbed it, then strummed a few cords. "What's with all the vinyl? Couldn't figure out how to work an iPod?" Julie teased.

"Better sound." He answered. "Oh, so you're a purist." She said.

"More alive." When he said that, I smiled and started to remember a song that I loved to listen to. "Hey Jenny, sing something." Julie said and I shot my head up.

"What?" I asked. "You play the guitar and you're an awesome singer, so sing." She said and I sighed, before starting to play a song.

I'm so tired of being here
Suppressed by all my childish fears
And if you have to leave
I wish that you would just leave
'Cause your presence still lingers here
And it won't leave me alone

These wounds won't seem to heal
This pain is just too real
There's just too much that time cannot erase

When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears
When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears
And I held your hand through all of these years
But you still have all of me

You used to captivate me by your resonating light
Now I'm bound by the life you left behind
Your face, it haunts my once pleasant dreams
Your voice, it chased away all the sanity in me

These wounds won't seem to heal
This pain is just too real
There's just too much that time cannot erase

When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears
When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears
And I held your hand through all of these years
But you still have all of me

I've tried so hard to tell myself that you're gone
But though you're still with me
I've been alone all along

When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears
When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears
And I held your hand through all of these years
But you still have all of me
Ah, me... ah, me... ah...

"Very nice." R said and I went over to Julie to look at the records. "No way, Guns 'n Roses." I gasped as I picked it up. "Where'd you get these?"

"I collect things." He said. "We can see that. You, my friend, are a hoarder." Julie said and he shrugged.

"Hey, no shrugging. That's a very non-committal gesture." I told him, then looked back at the records and saw he shurgged again so I turned to him, while snapping my fingers. "Drop the shoulders." He did.

"No more shrugging." I told him. "I mean it." "You should listen to her, if you do something she doesn't like around her, she will hurt you." Julie said and I hit her shoulder.

"What?" She asked. "I do not." I hissed.

"Yes, you do." She shot back and we laughed at each other, then I saw him shrug again. "Hey!" He immediately put his shoulders back down and I put a record on, then started to mess with the other stuff in the plane.