The First Day

Charlie looked at the window and sighed. It was 5:00 am. He and his family have been on the road since last night. They were still on the highway. There was a lot of talking about some sort of outbreak on the news. They said it gave infected people rage and that they were attacking others. ''Be sure to always keep a distance and report to the police if one of them is ever spotted. The government is putting any infected people in quarantine. But in the meantime, staying in your homes or evacuating the city is recommended.'' The news said, then the power went out. There was a lot of noise coming from the city. Explosions, guns, and screaming. So, Charlie, his parents, and his little brother, evacuated the city. That was last night. ''We could have stayed at home dad!'' Charlie said. They were in a big traffic jam. Cars were everywhere, there was a lot of noise, people crying, and cars making their usual loud noise. That made it impossible for Charlie to get some sleep. Charlie had light brown hair, that wasn't long nor short, on a face that looked like an 18 year-old. His eyes were dark brown, going with his hair.

''Don't worry, it's gonna be fun! We're going to grandma in Atlanta! Right Emily?'' Charlie's dad, George said as he looked at his wife.

''Come on Charlie! Stop being so grumpy!'' Charlie's brother, Gabriel said. Charlie ignored and tried to sleep again. Charlie was 22, he was a part-time employee at a coffee shop. He thought about his job. Would he get it back after all of this ends? He also thought about his friends, he hoped they would be somewhere safe.

****

BAM!

Charlie woke up to a loud noise. He looked around his family were looking out the window.

''It's coming from the city.'' Emily said.

He looked at the window, he saw a three helicopters hovering over the city. It was shooting down, and dropping bombs. Gunfire and explosions were heard. It was just like last night.

''What the hell are they doing?!''

George shook his head '' I don't know''. Gabriel covered his eyes and turned around, crying. ''Mommy, i'm scared!'' He was ten, he had to be. Then, all of a sudden, people were screaming. They were running. Some were leaving their cars and running. Charlie looked out the back, he saw the people coming, running, holding their children. He saw people carrying their bags, some carrying their pets. A lot of them were screaming. Then, they saw what they were running from. There was a man, he was on another person. Charlie looked closer, there was puddle of blood around him, he was eating him!

''OH SHIT!'' Charlie shouted.

He saw another one lunging at woman and attacking her. She was screaming as he bit her leg. But, she escaped, screaming. ''Everyone stay in the car, no one gets out.'' George said. Charlie kept on looking, he was horrified. He saw a girl. She was like ten years old. No one was with her. She was just standing over there crying. ''Mommy!!! Daddy!!!'' He couldn't just leave her there. He just couldn't. ''I'll be back in a moment.''

''Charlie don't you dare go out of that car!'' Emily said. Charlie ignored her and jumped out. ''I can do this, just run and get her.'' he thought. He ran and got to her. The weather was a little cold. The morning breeze was light. He new that the weather will soon be warmer as it was early summer.

''Hey, can you help me find my mommy and daddy?'' she sobbed. She looked like she was so scared, horrified from what was around her. He looked at the woods beside the highway, an injured man was walking, moaning. He was raising his arms and coming at us.

''Sure, dear. I'll help you. I'm Charlie. What's your name?''

''Natalie.''

''Okay Natalie, I don't want you to worry, I will take good care of you until we find your parents. I promise.'' He held her hand and started walking.