Prolouge

Hiccup's POV

"Hey,"

Her voice echoed through my head, causing a flood of memories to hit me. I grimaced at them, trying to push them back into the back of my head.

"When we're older, will you marry me?"

My smile flashed before my eyes. How was I so happy at the time, and so miserable now?

"Of course. We're so right for each other." My response made my heart ache.

"I love you." She sing-songed. She held out her hands as I said it back.

"I love you."

"You already said that." I answered, my naive self not getting her sense of humor. She wanted to hear it again.
"I love you too, again."

Our hands laced together, giggling to ourselves.

I remember the face my father made when I told him I was getting married at the ripe age of seven. He laughed and patted my back, telling me I was lucky to have her. Oh so lucky.

"I love you, I love you, I love you."

My eyes snapped open, me gasping for air. I yelled out, panicking. My shoulders shook as I tried to regain my ability to breath. Silent tears started to roll down my cheeks.

"Please come back to me." I whispered to no one. "Please."

My door opened and my mom entered. "Oh honey. Are you thinking about her again?" When I didn't answer she came over to me and sat down. "Hiccup, don't you think it's time to get a new girlfriend? You haven't had a new friend besides Johnny for ten years. You have to let go. She's gone."

I looked shocked at my mother. My heart ached at her words, sending a cold shiver down my back. "Mom, how could you say that?" My voice broke and I took a deep breath. "I suffer everyday because of one mistake I made as a kid."

"I know, bu-"

"Just get out." I mumbled, turning away. She sighed and kissed my forehead. She said goodnight and walked out, closing my door softly.

I fell backwards, my back hitting my bed. I sighed and mumbled a couple curses to myself. Another memory snuck forward and my face clouded.

Her laughter.

Her smile.

Her.

She haunted me. Like a ghost who never fulfilled her life on Earth. Everything reminded me of her. The way the wind blew the trees. The kids at the park. The random blonde who jogs by my house at five. Her face passed over my eyes and I squeezed them shut. Go away, go away, go away!

How much longer can I stand this?