Chapter Five: Alpha Male

Astrid's POV
"Babe," his hand rested on my shoulder and I sighed.

"Don't 'babe' me, Snotlout." I interrupted as I turned to face him.

"Astrid," he corrected, "where have you been?"

"Out." I replied.

"C'mon Astrid, you're my girlfriend." He whined, eyes turning into half moons.

"You don't own me."

"But-"

"Don't push it," I sneered, already irritable.

"But I want you to come hangout with my friends."

I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms. "I'm busy Snotlout."

"No, come on," he encouraged and I let out a shaky breath as he snaked his dominant hand down my arm.

I looked around my surroundings. We were outside the school doors, I came back at lunch to get some of my books. Correction, Haven brought me, but he was no where in sight.

"Not now Snotface."

"Astrid stop being difficult." He started to pull and I squirmed. The bell rang, and I looked hopefully toward the school for someone.
Well, for Haven.

"That's the bell, you should go to class." I insisted but he huffed and ignored me.

"I don't want to Snotlout!" I gasp as his grip tightened. "Snotlout let go!" He kept yanking, and I realized I wasn't strong enough. My breathing become ragged and a lump lodged it's way into my throat. Oh god, he's going to hurt me. "Snotlout! I don't want to go see your stupid friends!" He tightened his hold and pulled again. "Ow Snotlout!"

Someone cleared their throat and both of us looked in their direction. Haven stood there, his face straight, frowning at my wrist.

"What do you want, buddy?" Snotlout grumbled, pulling me flush against him. If anyone else was to come out, they'd think nothing was wrong. Just a couple teens skipping class to make out.

He stayed silent, still fixated on Snotlout's grip on me, and he didn't look impressed.

"Hey! Stop staring and scram!" Haven stepped forward and wrapped his hand just above my boyfriends hold. His fingers were warm and far more gentle. Surprisingly, his concern made my thumping heart slow slightly. "Let go dude, or you'll regret it!"

Haven raised an eyebrow and leaned in closer. "No." He growled.

Snotlout swiftly connected his fist with Havens jaw, causing him to stumble back, hands flying up. Haven lunged forward, tackling Snotlout. I screamed, running towards the two.

"Stop!" I shrieked, fearing their safety.

Haven gave me a shove before Snotlout ran into me, and I stumbled back, landing on the ground. My boyfriend took this as an advantage and socked Haven.

He fell to the ground and tried his best to hide the fact that he was deeply in pain. Scrambling to his feet, he kept his stance. They circled for a moment or two before Haven sent a racing uppercut against Snotlout's chin.

"Hey!" Someone shouted. "Hey cut it out!" A teacher came jogging toward us and in between the boys. "What is wrong with you two?! Office, now!"

***

"I'll be back in half an hour you two," the nurse called from the door, on her way to help Snotlout now.

"Okay." I responded, nodding lightly.

"You guys stay put and out of anymore trouble!" She instructed, closing the door behind her.

"You're so stupid!" I chastised as I dabbed a cold cloth on a very large bruise. He whimpered and tried to turn away, but I kept a firm grip on his jaw. "Going against Snoutlout? Really?" I shook my head. "Stop moving!" I grumbled as he made another attempt to look away.

His eyes met mine. He stared immensely, his green eyes almost scanning mine. I blushed, feeling vulnerable against his glare. His attention lowered to my lips then quickly adverted them back to my eyes.

My hands tingled, wanting to have his laced around mine. I craved Havens touch. He chewed his lip thoughtfully. I couldn't help but stare at the little cut on his lower lip.

I licked my lips and in return Haven bit his. He grimaced as that action caused the scabbing cut to loosen, a few drops of blood trickling down.

"Oh, uh.." I grabbed a cloth and dabbed at it, leaning in close to get a better look at it. He let out a distracted humming sound and I realized I have placed my hand on his leg for support. "Oh, sorry." I attempt to lift it and relocate it, but he trailed his hand over mine.

"Wha..." He stopped me with an intense stare, him no longer trying to hide the fact that he wasn't looking at my eyes.

My lips dried, I licked them, he bit his, repeat. We were so close, I could feel his warm breath along my jaw.

"Um.." I murmured. "We uh, should, get back to your-"

"Stop talking." He mumbled, rubbing his temples.

"What?" I asked, slightly taken back.

"You need to stop talking." His voice was deep and hoarse. "Please." He begged dropping his head into his hands. "You don't know how much this hurts me." He whispered.

"What? Well of course it hurts, he did a number on you-"

"No." He interrupted. "This." He waved a hand, gesturing around me and him.

"What are you talking about?"

"I, this, we," he stuttered coldly. "I just can't."

"Can't what, Haven?" I asked lightly, trying not to let my voice shake.

"I can't get close to anyone, it will ruin everything."

My heart dropped and a lump raised into my throat. "W-what about Johnny?"

"He's," Haven trailed, "he's different. He's with me. He knows, he knows who's coming," he chuckled dryly, "hell, he was one of them. You're not." He stood and walked toward the door. "I was stupid, selfish for letting, for wanting you to be with us. You aren't one of us." He opened the door and looked to the floor. "Not anymore."