Change

Over the weekend, Jaclyn boxed all of the new clothes she got and Aunt Maggie took her back to the mall to get clothes she felt comfortable and self-assured in. By the end of the shopping trip, they both had two bags each, all consisting of joggers, jeans, plainly colored t-shirts and sweaters.

"I really feel like these outfits you got this time are more you. I know I don't even know you that well but even as a little girl, you always seemed uncomfortable in the dresses your mom put you in." Aunt Maggie told her.

"Yeah, I feel a lot better. I just feel bad that I made you waste all of that money on those other clothes."

"I'm sure you'll find a use for them."

~~~~

On Monday, Jaclyn decided to wear something she considered nice; blue jeans, a gray sweater, and black Converse. Looking at herself in her full length mirror made her think, wait, but what if Evan doesn't like this? But then her mother called her upstairs for breakfast and she had no time to change her mind.

"I love your outfit today, Jac." Sophie enthused, pulling on the loose thread of the gray sweater. "I feel like it's more you than anything you've worn so far."

"My aunt said that too." Jaclyn laughed.

"What happened to the girly stuff?" Sophie laughed as well, "I mean, I don't think I liked it as much as this. And those Converse fit you so well." She was basically drooling.

"Back off, Sophie, Jaclyn's mine." Evan smiled, his hand resting at the small of Jaclyn's back before he sat down with one leg on either side of the bench. Her heart fluttered, skipped a beat. "You look so great today," he complimented, "are you ever going to sit down though?" Evan chuckled as Jaclyn rolled her eyes.

"I'm going to get lunch," She told him, turning around to leave, "You can join me if you'd like." Jaclyn called behind her. She could hear Evan scrambling from his seat to follow her. In seconds, he was walking beside her as they walked into the hall to get into the lunch line.

Jaclyn got back to the table before Evan, so Sophie asked her, "What is with you and Evan? You're disgustingly lovey-dovey." Jaclyn shrugged, taking a bite of her sandwich. Through a mouthful of food, she replied,

"I don't really know. He's cute and he's nice to me."

"Are you talking about me again?" Evan sat down next to Jaclyn in the same one-leg-on-either-side position as before.

"Actually, yes. Anyway, what are you gonna do with those other clothes? You can't give them back if you've already worn them." Sophie took bites of her salad.

"I don't know. I have nothing to do with them. I have the box of them in my locker though."

"Maybe you can ask an Elite if they want them?" Sophie suggested warily. Jaclyn shrugged.

At the end of lunch, Jaclyn walked towards her locker and saw Cassandra, as she usually did. She decided to ask her what she thinks she could do with the clothes.

"Hey, Cass."

"Who said you could call me that?" Cassandra whipped her head around to look at Jaclyn.

"Sorry, Cassandra. I just wanted to ask you what you think I should do with some clothes that I just recently got. I don't want them anymore."

"Well, some kind of charity would probably want them, I'm sure. But I think you should give them to Juliet during lunch." Cassandra smiled. Jaclyn thought about it. Giving Juliet some clothes would probably get her on her good side. A peace offering, if anything. Jaclyn nodded, thanking her quietly before opening her locker to get the clothes. She set the box on the floor and exchanged some books before zipping up her backpack again. Sophie joined her at her locker, following Jaclyn to the cafeteria.

This better go well.