Shopping

"Where do you wanna start?" Aunt Maggie asked as they walked across the parking garage to get to the mall.

"I have no clue. I've only been to a mall a couple of times, and that was a while ago when I had friends." Jaclyn laughed. Aunt Maggie and Jeydon seemed worried and as if they felt bad for her. And it's kind of expected, considering the fact that their backgrounds are so different. But Jaclyn didn't mind it. She just hoped to find some clothes she liked.

"How about this?" Jeydon held up a jacket very similar to what Sophie had been wearing the first day they met. Jaclyn realized that it was basically what everyone wore. She shook her head.

"I mean I like it, but everyone has one and once I wear it, it's not gonna be in style anymore. I'll literally make it out of style." Jeydon sighed, shaking his head.

"You gotta get better at this self-confidence thing." Jaclyn shrugged as Aunt Maggie held up a sweater that was perfect for the fall season coming up. Jaclyn agreed to it, and continued looking for things that she thought would make her more likeable in a school of rich kids.

Jaclyn held up a dress that wasn't really her style, but she liked it a little nonetheless, and subconsciously hoped everyone else did too.

"Are you sure these are things you like? Are you sure you want to get these?" Aunt Maggie kept asking. Jaclyn would reply every time with a confirmation, even though she was never really sure.

~~~~

For the rest of the week, Jaclyn wore her new and improved outfits. She felt pretty and feminine in them, things she hadn't felt since she was a little girl. Everywhere she went, she'd get looks from guys, some smiles and smirks, and side-eyes from girls, some glares and fangs and claws. Some people didn't even care.

As for Sophie, it was the only thing she could talk about. She positively, and sometimes, negatively, commented on every new outfit. She'd ask what Elijah and Evan thought about them. Elijah always said she could look good in anything and nothing, and Evan agreed with a shy smile and pink cheeks.

Evan and Jaclyn actually began talking. He, one day, texted her about homework for some class, and the conversation ended up lasting from the end of school that day to midnight. Neither of them minded, since they liked the conversation and the person on the other side, and they didn't sleep until one in the morning on a daily basis anyway.

By the end of the week, they talked a good thirty hours in total, on and off the phone. On Friday, Sophie babbled on about Jaclyn's outfit choice, a black skirt that was flowy and mid-thigh length, paired with a shortsleeved maroon button-up that she'd tucked in, and black Vans. Affectionately, Evan put his arm around Jaclyn, his hand resting on the other side of her as they'd been sitting at a table that was circular with three benches.

The close proximity made Jaclyn's heart race and made her question if she was beginning to like this boy. When he called her pretty over the phone, it was flattering, but it wasn't as personal as that moment with his arm around her. She felt like she could fly, and when he called her beautiful in person, she almost did fly. It was a feeling she hadn't felt. But she didn't believe him, nor did she feel right in the new clothes she'd gotten. The outfits were too feminine for her to handle, but it was conflicting to think about, because Evan made her feel alright.

"Get a room!" Someone called from the other side of the cafeteria. Evan looked at the Elite table, a table comprising of only four Elites: Julius, Shawn, Luke, and Cody. Shawn had been the one to call out the remark, and Evan wasn't too pleased about it. Soon, it was the end of lunch, and the beginning of the rest of the day.

~~~~

"Hey, Jac. What's up?" Aunt Maggie asked as Jaclyn walked in seeming upset. She set her bag down on the floor, sliding her Vans off, and looking up at her aunt.

"I don't think I like these clothes. They don't... reflect what I feel I am." Jaclyn admitted. Her mind was racing with possibilities of everyone being disappointed, but all Aunt Maggie said was,

"I knew it!"