Old Times

It was nearly 4 by time I made it home.
The lights were dim.
I could hear the cracking kitchen tile under my feet as the rusty porch door shut. I set my black bag unto the counter and plopped on the couch. I felt my eyes get heavy, I had no strength to resist the urge. Everything became black.

"Why don't you ever let me hold your hand?"

"It's weird and I don't like it."

"Why not?"

What was this? Some piece of the past.
The sun rays shone brightly against the sand and the waves hit softly. It was all too familiar, a small fragment shined brightly in the grain. I brushed against it and held it in my palm tightly. The breeze caressed my face and the water engulfed my bare feet.

"I asked you a question, Princess."

Princess? Only one person called me that.
I looked up in utter shock, I felt as if I would faint.

"What's wrong?"

"I...uh.....Damion?"

"You look sick." He sat next to me and placed a hand across my forehead.
"I'm... Fine." I said pushing it away.
"Just making sure." He said with a smile.
His eyes were a bright blue, they were even more magnificent as I remembered. I ran my hand through his brown wet hair and admired his striking looks.

"Alright Punk, what's up with you?"

This isn't a dream, it's just to realistic. I'm too in control, but.... I was close to him again. I had one chance to tell him one last time.

"I love you Damion."

"I know that." He exclaimed scratching his head. "I love you too princess!" He said squeezing me tightly.
Tears streamed down my face and his embrace slowly faded.
"Why are you crying!?!" He said surprised.
He placed a hand against my cheek and wiped the my tears, he pressed his lips gently against mine. I pushed myself harder against him and wrapped my arms around him.

"Please don't leave me."

"I won't Princess, I promise."

"Rose! Wake up!" Shouted Amelia shaking my shoulder.

I snapped from my vision and came to my sisters aid. "What's wrong!?" I said in a panic.

"Moms drunk again." She said rubbing her neck.
I immediately popped up from the couch and ran through the cramped living room. I bumped on the walls as I rushed through the small hallway. I took a sharp turn and walked into Mom's room. A huge vase came flying my way, my first reflex was to duck. The vase hit the wall and broke into multiple pieces, I looked around the destroyed room.

"...Mom?"

"OUT!?! GET OUT."
She held a bottle in her grasp and lunged at me aggressively. She attempted to use the bottle to hit me aside the head, but missed and smashed it again the dresser. I pinned her arms against the back wall and restrained her the best I could. She kicked my side forcing me to whelp in pain, I fought back the best I could and held the tightest grip I could muster on her.

"Mom please!?! Relax." I shouted. "Your scaring Amelia!"

Her eyes widened in fright and She slide slowly against the wall beginning to cry, I released my grip and stepped back slowly.
This was my life for the past two years.
Dealing with mom's attacks were becoming far more difficult than before.

"You... You told me.... You told me you were taking an extra shift tonight." I forced out. My lips trembling in anxiousness.

"I stopped at the bar! I needed it!" She shouted drunkly.

"You don't need it." I responded balling up my fist. I closed my eyes and let out a deep breath, I turned around after gathering myself and found Amelia at the door.

"Help me pick up these bottles."

---------------------------------------------------

I slammed my head into the soft pillow and tried to calm my thoughts. Why was my life so hard? Why did I deserve this pain? I glanced over at the cluttered desk, scanning the area for familiar objects. I laid my eyes on a family photo, taken on our last road trip. The Old times flooded my memory, overwhelming my mind. I closed my eyes in a frantic effort to forget and dosed off into a slight slumber.

The smell of oil and rust evaded my nose. I opened my eyes in an effort to find the culprit. I rubbed the leather under me and admired the grayish carpet, I'm moving. I blinked back in surprise to find myself in the old family car. The Honda, at this point, speeded at 60 miles an hour on the Arizona road.

"Your awake sweetheart." Said a deep voice.

I recognized that understanding tone anywhere. My father peeked at me from the rear view mirror and gave me a sweet smile, his gray eyes beamed with excitement and his black hair fell effortlessly. Mom sat upright in the passengers seat, Looking a little off. I turned to my right to reveal a sleeping Amelia, laying comfortably on my arm. This scene had played out before, it was all too real. Was somehow reliving my past? That only happened in movies. If this was our trip to Arizona, I knew exactly how this would end. All of a sudden, Mom grabbed the wheel in a forceful manner. Shaking the car in spiraling directions, Dad tried his best to restrain her and continue to control the car. Amelia and I whimpered in fright, suddenly a blazing light blinded our vision. A forceful hit sent us tumbling over, I gripped my seat belt in shock. Blood rushed to my head as I hung upside down, glass cut every inch of my arm and dust blinded my vision. I narrowed my eyes on dad. No breath.