Chapter 6: You're just a Girl.

Mia Carters

I cannot process what I'm about to do. My Dad or should I say Coach, told me to bring clothes to be comfortable to kick in. So I'm wearing spandex running pants and a t-shirt.
I begin putting my hair in a ponytail and put the cleats my dad gave me on.

It's so quiet in the girls locker room. No ones here. Or so I think. Coach whistles in for me to come out. I walk nervously out and onto field. I look around to see a group of boys in pads and jerseys with helmets on their heads. I see them all staring at me when I walk onto field. I can hear some whistles and cat calls. My dad tells me to go to 30 yard line. I stand there waiting to kick.

I can hear my heart pounding. I just remind myself it's like soccer. I used to play soccer before we moved here for 7 years.

I hear the whistle and I line myself up before running towards the ball. I kick it to the field goal and it makes it in. Coach tells me to go to 40 yard line. I line up and kick it barely making it in. He calls me over as well as the team.

"Welcome the new kicker Mia" he says patting my shoulders.

I look over at him with my mouth dropped and in awe. I had no words. I tried to convince my dad to let me play back home but he just wouldn't let me. I think it was because it was right after my mom passed away.

I then glanced over at the team. Some of them were winking and someone them have me dirty looks.

"Ayyo Coach. She's a girl I mean. How's this supposed to work." a boy with tan skin and black hair asked my dad.

"Consider her one of the guys. She won't change with you or shower. But she will practice with you and put same in as everyone else here." he said lifting his hat up and placing it back down. "I'll let you all go home early today."

I started walking towards the locker room before I heard nasty comments towards me.

"I mean she kicks like a girl, too." two boys said running past me.

"I think you did great." the familiar voice said as he wrapped his arm around my shoulder holding his helmet in the other hand. Gage runs his fingers through his hair.

"Thanks. I know the boys on the team don't like this idea." I say looking down at my cleats.

"Listen, they wouldn't know talent even if I handed it to them. You just need practice." Gage says whispering into my ear. "Hey I gotta shower but I'll see ya up by the railing, won't I?"

"Sure, stinky" I say smiling and waving a hand by my nose.

I changed back into skinny jeans and a black crop top. Letting my hair out of the ponytail before I heard a door open. I look over and see Gage.

"What are you doing?" I said whispering to him.

He looks at me with his blue sparkling eyes. He steps closer to me.

"I wanted to see you." He said secretly.

He places his hand on my hips before pulling me close. He leans in and kisses me with his soft lips. I instantly become addicted to the taste craving more. He keeps kissing as I wrap my arms around his neck and his fingers travel through my hair. He lifts me up and I wrap my legs around him as he puts my back against the wall.

I stop before it goes any further. "I'm sorry" I whisper into his ear. He pants and then gently puts me down.

"I'll take this as a rein-check" he says smiling and puts his hand behind my ear.

I bite my lip and then grab my stuff to head up to meet my dad. I leave Gage behind before I was stopped and cornered by some of the teammates.

"You think you're actually part of this team? You're not. You're just a girl. And if you wanna stay on the team your gonna have to do stuff for us." a boy said with an evil tone surrounded by his entourage.

"What stuff?" I ask him as I cross my arms.

"Whatever we want. You do."

"No way" I say starting to move before my arm has a hand on it yanking me back. Gage comes out and sees what's happening.

"Hey, guys leave her alone. Especially you Darien. You don't wanna mess with her." he says looking at the group.

The boy with the evil tone spoke up. "Gage, you don't scare me. Neither does princess over here."

I walk away and stood near Gage before I left to meet my dad at the car. I had a worried look on my face before I could fix it my dad asked me what was wrong. I told him I forgot to do homework. But it wasn't homework it was the team. When we got home I plunged on my bed and began to shut my eyes.