Chapter 1

5 years later...
"Mama?"

"Yes Jade?" Marya replied as she washed the dishes.

"Why does Wanda hate me?"

Marya immediately stopped what she was doing and turned to her adopted daughter with a startled look.

"She does not! Why would you ever say a thing like that!?"

"It's just, she never wants me around! Every day I wait for her and Pietro to come home from school, and when they finally do get home she locks herself in her room!" Jade exclaimed.

"Well that doesn't mean she hates you." Marya told her daughter in a soothing tone.

"I guess," she paused, "Please don't tell her about this. She'll hate me even more!" Jade pleaded.

Marya stood up and walked back towards the sink.

"Get the twins. It's time for dinner, and your father should be home any minute now."
                                                                      ___
"So, how was school today?" Marya asked as the family sat down for dinner.

"Boring" Pietro and Wanda both stated simultaneously.

"So twin telepathy really DOES exist!" their father exclaimed.

The table erupted with laughter. This would be the kind of memory that Jade would look back on with sorrow because, little did they know, their whole lives were about to change, forever.