THE NEIGHBOR (One shot)

She was breathing hastily as she roamed around the room to find something. The lights were off but there were streaks of lights coming from the outside of her window. As she opened the closet, she found what she was looking for. She sat down on the floor and aimed the thing on her temple. She was panting. She smiled and said, "I love you, Mom and Dad." She then pulled the trigger.

"Tina!" Her mom shrieked at her.

"I'm coming, mom!" She stopped combing her hair and stared at her reflection. She smiled, took her things and went downstairs.

"What took you so long?" Her mom's brows creased.

She came to her mom and hugged her, "I'm sorry, mom."

"Are you done?" Her father came out from the dining room.

"Yes, dad. Let's go!"

Martina "Tina" Lupan is a normal 12-year-old girl with a normal family status and normal life. Her father is a respected police man and her mother was always looking after her. She was contented on what she has in life. There was nothing she could ask for.

Until one day...

She just came from her school that time. The moment she opened their door, she knew there was something different. She gently walked and roamed her eyes around. She found no one until she heard sobs coming from their kitchen. Her eyes grew big. She hurriedly ran towards their kitchen only to found out that it as her mom. Crying and drinking. There were lots of broken glasses all over the place. Her mouth went agape. It was her first time to see her mom like that! She looked miserable!

"Mom, what happened?" She went to her mom.

But instead of answering her, her mom pushed her away. She was shocked!

"Don't touch me! You're not my daughter!" Her mom screamed.

She felt scared. She could see pain, anger and disgust in her mother's eyes.

"What? Mom, you're just drunk. Come on."

But to her surprise, her mom pulled her arm tightly and dragged her out of the kitchen.

She was crying. Her mom locked her up in their dark basement. She did not know how many hours or maybe days she was locked. The only thing that she knew was that she was hungry and thirsty.
She could hear them arguing everyday. She heard how her father confirmed to her mom that he was still communicating to her biological mother. That was when she knew that the mother she has been with was not her real mom. She was the subject but they never noticed her absence.

"Why aren't they feeding me?" She asked herself.

She was roaming around finding for something to eat but instead of food, she found a sharp metal. An idea popped inside her head. She was on the verge of killing herself when the door suddenly opened. She hurriedly points the metal on the person. It was her father but she didn't even flinch even an inch.

He slowly walked towards her but she stepped back.

"Don't come near me!" She hissed.

"Tina, put that thing down. Come on. I'm getting you out of here. I'm sorry for what you're mom has done."

But her mind was already closed. The only thing in her mind was that if he comes near her, she's going to kill him.

"Go away! I'm going to kill you!"

"Hush now, Tina. Everything will be okay." He gently told her and came towards her.

Out of fear that he might do something to her, she stabbed her father directly on his heart. As she saw him lifeless and unconscious on the floor, she quickly ran towards the door. She felt dazed when she suddenly came out of the door because of the light but she shrugged it off.

She decided to go to their kitchen to find for food but she met her mom halfway. Her mom's eyes were wide open and her mouth went ajar. But her expression quickly turned into anger.

"Where's your father?" Her mom said through gritted teeth.

She couldn't answer her because of fear. Her mom grabbed her arm angrily and dragged her back to the basement. She was struggling, she couldn't even budge. Finally, they reached the basement. Her mom's grip loosened when she saw her husband lying on the floor covered with blood. She hastily came to him and when she confirmed that he was dead, she angrily turned her head to her.

"What did-", she didn't gave her mother the chance to finish her sentence. She immediately closed the door and locked it.

She went to the kitchen to get something and went back to the basement. She was outside and she could hear her mother's scream that was full of anger. She opened the door and stabbed her mother, directly in the heart, countless times. When she was satisfied, she left the basement and went to the master's bedroom. She found the gun in the closet and pointed it at her head. "I love you, Mom and Dad. I'm coming with you." And then there was a loud sound of bang.

Tina suddenly woke up because of the noise outside their house. She could hear some people crying and grieving and the deafening sound of the sirens. Her heart was racing and throbbing so fast.

"What did I do?" She trembled.

She hurriedly went downstairs and headed towards the kitchen. She quivered when she saw broken glasses. Her hand was shaking.

"Did it really happen?" She couldn't even recognize her own voice.

She slowly went outside to the police to give up and turn herself in. She was walking and staring blankly on the midair. She flinched when someone called her name. It was familiar.

"Martina!"

She turned her head to where the voice came from and she cried when she recognize the figure in front of her.

"Mom!" She went to her mom and hugged her tightly.

"Hey, what happened?" Her mom chuckled a bit.

She didn't answer.

"Did the noise wake her?" It was his Dad!

She hurriedly went to her dad and wept, "Dad!"

"What's wrong?"

"What's with the commotion, Dad?" She asked after a while and look at the house next to theirs. People were mourning. That house used to be so peaceful.

Her father sighed, "The boy murdered his parents because they caged him for several days." Her eyes widened. "And we found out that he was adopted."

Her world shook.