Chapter I: Homeward Bound

(Welcome back, dear friends and readers. I pray you are all doing fine.

Just to give variety to the writing I've been doing, I decided to make a few changes to this new story of mine. This includes where the author's notes are located.

As most of you may have noticed, I've been writing my two other stories in first person POV. It sometimes gets difficult to get my point across when I write this way.

This being said, I decided to try telling the story in the third person POV. *crosses fingers* Wish me luck, dearies!

But enough with the ramblings and on with the story. Enjoy!

Clothes and other personal belongings lay scattered across Tokiya's room. It was a struggle for him to decide what to bring on his trip home to Japan.

"Stop dilly-dallying," he reminded himself. "Pack only what you need the most so you'll be done soon."

Just then, he heard a soft knock on his door. Not wanting to be interrupted in what he was doing, he decided to momentarily ignore it.

The knockings became too insistent for him to not heed. He had to acknowledge his unexpected visitor.

"Step right in. The door's unlocked," he informed.

"Toki! I finally caught up with you," he heard a voice say. Right there and then, he knew who its owner was.

"Akira, what brings you here?" She was welcome to visit him anytime, that was a given. The moment was just an inopportune time for her to do so.

"Nothing in particular. I just missed your company," she replied, while trying to give him a bear hug.

"That's it? You came to me just because you felt like?"he replied, in a somewhat irritated tone.

He regreted what he said when he saw her getting teary-eyed.

"My apologies. I didn't me to be rude to you." He could never brush her off, even when she's being clingy.

She is his childhood friend, after all. He will always be concerned for her in his own way.

"No need for that, Toki." There is... But she would never admit it. "I see you're busy."

"Yes, as I'm about to head home to Japan," he replied. Who was he kidding? He could never bear to be harsh with her.

"Honto ni? (Really?)" she blurted out. "Can I come with you?"

"It's your choice whether you go to Japan or not," he said. "As it is, I won't be able to take you with me now."

"Why not? Don't you like my company anymore?" she asked. Goodness, she doesn't get it.

"It's not like that. The thing, I'm not going back there to bum around and have fun." There, that should be enough to appease her.

He said those words for her sake. His homecoming to their country of birth was not of his choice. It was more of his father's.

"And I can't tag along with you?" she persisted. Dear lord, this kid was starting to sound like a broken record.

"Not this time," he said. "I'll be leaving in two days, anyway." Who was he kidding? Staying mad at her for too long was impossible.

"So soon? I'll be missing you, Toki" she replied, giving him a sad smile. "Be sure to write to me often."

He would have preferred to stay with her for a little longer. But his father's order was not to be disregarded. He had to be on that ship bound for Japan.

"I will. Take care of yourself," he replied. "Try to improve your Nihongo while I'm away," he continued.

"You can count on it," she said. "I'll work hard so when it's my turn to go back to Japan, I won't be a burden to you."

Akira was born and raised here in America. She's been to our country only once when she was a kid. No wonder she's eager to reconnect with her roots.

"Sayonara (Goodbye), Akira. Until we meet again," he whispered, patting her on the head and flashing her his happiest smile.

"Bye, Toki. Have a safe trip," she replied, before finally skipping out of the room.

He couldn't help but let out a heavy sigh after closing the door behind her. Leaving a place he's grown to love made his heart heavy.

Four years, more or less. The length of time he's spent studying here. Has it been that long? It certainly felt like it was just yesterday.

The door suddenly slammed open, causing him to flinch a bit. "Toki, I forgot to tell you something. Watashiwa anata aishiteimasu (I love you)."

Sheesh... A half-smile formed on his lips as he heard these words. "Akira, you don't understand, do you?" he muttered to himself.

I love you too. Just not in the way you think I do.

(So first chapter's done. What do you think of it so far? Too short or just right? How about the point of view?

As I always say, I'm open to constructive criticism and suggestions. I also love meeting new friends here on Wattpad.

So drop me a line. I'm mostly harmless, I promise. Lol!

Good morning/afternoon/evening/day wherever you may be. See you soon!)

Next Chapter's Sneak Peek:

"Ok, let the games begin," she said, rolling up her sleeves and tying her hair up in a high ponytail.

Today was another day to struggle and strive, another time to fight and survive.