Bedside Manners

"Jackie..." A gravelly voice called your name. Your eyes shot open in surprise. The area that surrounded you was dim and absolutely frigid. Mist curled from the dewy ground. Pine trees loomed over you in a circle, and they climbed to the stars. You could see your breath billowing in the glacial air. Pebbles shifted beneath you. Hands behind your back, you slouched, helplessly. You were on your knees. Scanning the perimeter of the clearing, you spotted the ghostly faces of The Saviors, emerging into the starlight. But they didn't look friendly. Not even close. You shivered as the cold wind brushed against your body. "Jackie Bennett..." The low tone was sounding from an RV that was parked in front of you, about fifteen feet away. With a clamorous thud, the door burst open. Out stepped two heavy combat boots, attached to muscled legs covered by cargo pants. Your eyes grazed his frame. He wore a black-leather jacket, adorned with silver zippers. A vermilion scarf laid below his silver beard. His eyes glowed with amber and gold hues. He clutched a baseball bat wrapped in bloody barbed wire. "There's the dishonest pussy-bitch," he chuckled, arrogantly.

Negan, you thought

Negan, you thought. At first, you were elated to see him again. But he didn't look nearly as happy to see you...not at all. He wore a menacing smile on his salt-and-pepper speckled cheeks. "What's happening?" you asked, meekly. Your vision darted to his men, who were prowling like hungry predators. They surrounded you. Their weapons were drawn.

Negan laughed and shook his head. "You know very goddamn fucking well what's going on, hon..." he began in his dominant manner. "But first, I gotta little fucking joke..." He cleared his throat, and his eyes twinkled. "When can you tell if Jackie's fucking lying?"

You paused in puzzlement. "I don't know..." you answered, unsure of his intentions.

He approached you slowly with Lucille in his fist. Kneeling down to your level, he hissed, "When her lips are fucking moving." He jeered at you and flicked your forehead sharply with his gloved fingers. The Saviors let out peals of laughter in response.

"Wait, what? What did I lie about?" you inquired in a shaky timbre. Your legs were vibrating against the ground.

"Don't play dumb with me, girl," he snickered and rose to his commanding stance. "You are conspiring with the fucking enemy. You said you were completely un-fucking-aware that they were picking off my men like fucking daisies." His accusations were tinged with a harsh edge. Those dark eyes of his creased as he leered at you. "That is a stupid fucking move, in my book. And now...now you've gotta motherfucking pay for that fucking shit." He raised Lucille and waved her in front of your terrified expression.

"What? I...I didn't..." you stammered. You hadn't the slightest idea what he meant. Why was he suggesting that you were aiding his rivals? What did you do to threaten him? Why was he being so heartless?