It's Okay To Be Human

Chapter One

Seth Kale woke to the shrill beeping of his alarm. He rubbed his hands across his face with a sigh. It was Monday. Monday meant work.

A loud knocking and shrieking woke him out of his half-asleep-daze. “Seth, Seth, Seth, Seth, Seth, Seth, Seth, Seth!”

Seth let a small smile flit across his face. “Hold your horses Wayne!”

“Get up, Kent!” The small voice retorted. “It’s kindergarten day!”

Seth chuckled and changed quickly into an old faded green shirt and a pair of black jeans. He opened the door to reveal his younger brother.

Benjamin Kale was short and skinny at the age of five. He had a head of fluffy blond hair and green eyes that could light the dark side of the moon. He was Seth’s only family, as far as he was concerned. Seth ruffled his brother’s hair. “Sup Wayne.”

“Morning Kent. Will you make me pancakes today?” Ben asked, puppy dog eyes in place. Seth melted. “Go get dressed dude, then pancakes.”

Ben cheered and raced down the hall and into his room. Seth chuckled and made his way to the small kitchen.

Ten minutes later Ben was racing into one of the counter chairs and digging into his moose shaped pancakes. “You’re the best Seth!”

Seth ruffled his brother’s hair with a smile. “Hurry that up, don’t wanna be late on your first day dude.”

“Oh crap!” Ben exclaimed.

Seth swatted at his brother’s head as he stuffed a crayon box into the Batman backpack. “Don’t say that you midget.”

Ben giggled and peered over his shoulder at his brother. “Are those Roseart?”

“No, they’re Crayola, as you ordered fine sire.” Seth snorted.

“Twenty-six pack?” Ben interrogated.

“No, the sixty pack.” Seth smiled.

Ben’s face lit up. “Really? You’re the best Kent!”

Seth only chuckled. “Gotta have the best for the next Picasso. Go brush your teeth and we’ll leave.”

Ben saluted. “Aye, aye Superman.” With a fake ‘whooshing’ noise his brother was racing off to the bathroom.

Seth smiled. He had been taking care of Ben ever since he was nineteen and Ben was three. His parents had kicked him out and he had taken Ben with him, claiming they were unfit to care for a child. His dad was in jail while his mother was probably homeless. It was the happiest news of his life.

Seth hated his parents and they hated him. They had asked for two sons. They had gotten two sons. The only problem, their oldest was gay. Still not seeing the problem? Seth didn’t get it either. Apparently having a gay son was ‘sinful’ and ‘wrong’. Screw them too. So, Seth had been beaten, hated, and downright ruined for the rest of society. And that was at school. Home was not a home. The only home he had ever had was where he was now. With Ben, on his own. He didn’t need anyone, but his Batman loving little brother.

Seth was pulled out of his thoughts at his little brother’s voice. “You really need to fix your hair Kent, or Maggie’s going to kill you.”

Seth smirked. Maggie was his boss at the small gift shop he worked at. Maggie was his only other family really. He loved the ‘thirty-nine-year-old’ (she was over fifty) to bits and she loved him just the same, even if she never said so outright.

“You’re right…Wanna help me out, Wayne?” Ben nodded and Seth crouched down in front of him. Small fingers pulled and prodded and tore. A few minutes later Seth’s blond hair with brown streaks was utterly bed-headed. He high-fived his little brother. “Nice job, B. Let’s get going though.”