Aftermath

"Kids, I want you both to meet the leader of our neighbouring tribe, Karu." Mother pushed Aren and I toward the tall stranger in our living room.

"Ah, you two must be Aren and Ara." He said, gazing onto us with bright blue eyes.

The man was topless, bulky muscles bulged from his scarred arms. A knife, with a blue jewel embedded on its bolster, was rested in his waistband,

"Yes, sir." Aren greeted with a bow. I silently mimicked his gesture.

"I've heard wonderful things about these kids." Karu said with a giant grin. "To think kids like them have such potential."

"We train them everyday." Father explained proudly. "The effort they put in has major a role in their strength."

"Aren, why is he here?" I whispered, with eyes locked onto the man's bushy eyebrows.

"He's here to meet our parents," he whispered back. "Try not to act weird, you'll scare him off."

I held myself back from punching my brother.

"I am honoured to meet your children." He said, stroking his long brown beard. "I'm curious to know which one you see the most potential in."

"That's not an easy answer," Father let out a stomach rumbling laugh. "One of them will hate me either way."

Karu chuckled at his answer.

"If I had to choose...it would be Aren. He is very strong for a boy his age."

I felt the world go still. All the training and work I've done seemed to melt into the veil of Aren's shadow. I bit my lip in response to the tears tickling my eyes.

Don't cry, I thought to myself sternly. Whatever you do, don't cry in front of this stranger.

"Yes, the boy does look stronger." Karu replied. "I can see him as the dominant sibling."

"He often beats Ara in practice fights, t-though there are times when his sister outsmarts him." Mother added, as if to make me feel better.

Aren cleared his throat, catching all the grown ups' attention." Umm...I'm only stronger because I'm older."

Karu arched his brow at my brother's comment," what are you implying, boy?"

"I-I just think it's unfair to compare Ara to me. Umm...she doesn't have as much experience a-and I know more techniques than her." He stammered. "S-so yeah..."

I couldn't hold back the giant smile stretching on my face. I grabbed his sweaty hand and squeezed it—it was a wordless 'thank you'.

The man's eyes softened on him," you care about your sister a lot." He pointed out.

"Y-yeah." Aren squeezed my hand back. "S-she's my annoying little best friend."

"I'm not annoying." I tried to pull my hand away but Aren kept a tight grasp on me.

"You keep telling yourself that." Aren flashed me a toothy smile.

"Kids, behave yourselves." Mother smacked us both lightly on the back of the head.

We bowed and quickly apologized to the man.

"You've got a couple of lovely kids." Karu laughed. "I'll be sure to visit them the next time I come. I'm positive they'll turn out to be a fine set of warriors."

*****

"Ara, are you awake?" A soft feminine voice rippled through the darkness, accompanied with a rhythmic beeping.