Chapter 33

Ben struggled to remain standing as he stood in front of Elijah. The Demon Lord sat proudly on his throne of bones observing him with sickening satisfaction. It was as if the demon were waiting for Ben to say something further, but he couldn’t think of anything else to say. He just wanted it over, he would face death willingly.

“You can skip the formalities Ben, you can call me Satan.” The man laughed as he rose from his throne and circled Ben slowly.

“Just kill me already, I don’t know where the child is,” Ben admitted.

“Oh, you’re still going on about that? I don’t care about a pathetic prophesied kid. If he does exist, there will be no kingdom left to rule once I’m through.” Elijah beamed as he watched the confusion spread across Ben’s face. If he didn’t need to know where the child is, why was he here?

“Oh, its ticking over inside your little head isn’t it?” Elijah goaded. “No matter, you needn’t have to understand,” he declared as he walked behind him. “Just know that you will get your wish Ben Castings.” He whispered behind his ear.

Ben felt a cold dread build in the pit of his stomach. He had somehow, somewhere, made a terrible mistake. This whole time he had been searching for a child, from something that would show him the way, and all Elijah wanted, was him. Ben looked up at the giant demonic gate that cast its evil shadow across the land and spewed forth that strange red mist. Nothing in his visions or his book had ever mentioned anything about a gateway to Hell on Earth. Does that mean everything had all been for nothing? Had they already lost?

Elijah’s laughter echoed through his mind, sinking deep into his heart. He had lost. He had been a fool all along. He hoped that this did not spell the end for anyone else but himself, but deep within his heart something told him that was too much to hope for.

“It’s beautiful, isn’t it?” Elijah asked as he followed Bens gaze to the huge rip in the sky above them.

“You should feel honoured Ben. I may have needed to slaughter millions of souls to create the Dalak D’Mar, but I only need yours to open it.” Elijah revealed with a dark smile. Open it? Why would his death open that unholy portal, and also, why would Satan want to open a gate to Hell? Ben thought Hell would be the last place he’d want to go.

Elijah cackled with joy as he continued his circling. “You truly don’t have a clue do you? I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised. You humans are pathetically dim-witted. You’re the key Ben, you’re my key to the gates of Heaven. Once your heart beats its pump of blood through your veins my armies will be following your soul through the Dalak D’Mar to the gates of Heaven, and when they open to let Father’s cherished prophet enter, so shall my horde, ready to slaughter every last soul.”

“Just kill him already.” The monstrous demon standing on the far side of the stairs bellowed. His deep voice seemed to cause the entire earth to shudder. Elijah stopped as if contemplating the thought before turning to face the enormous half man half goat creature.

“You know, being locked up all those years has made you terribly impatient,” he replied as he faced the demon.

“And I’m starting to think you’ve had so much company that all you do is talk,” the demon growled.

The air turned cold as a sudden aura blanketed the sky. Ben had never witnessed anything like it. If he had the energy, he would have shuddered at the chill.

“Don’t test me,” Elijah’s whisper was faint, but rang so clear in Ben’s mind it was all that consumed his every thought. The promise of a fate far worse than death lingered in those words. The goat demon shrugged and changed his focus, clearly unable or unwilling to take on Elijah’s challenge.