Chapter 5

Josh's P.O.V.

  Today's has been such a weird day for Megan and me. It started with the note and the blade in Megan's locker and then her falling down a flight of stairs. This is not the normal Megan I know and I know that no one would ever harm her. She is too kind and caring and helpful, who could hate against that? Now we are at her house after going to the hospital. I'm carrying her upstairs to her room and then she passes out. I quickly take her to her bed and lay her down gently. I check if she has a pulse and she is breathing. I sigh and looking at her. She is just fine. I sit next to her and looking at her. She is so fragile, like a baby. Her skin isn't the vibrant tan it is, it's more of a faded gray color. Someone is hurting her and she doesn't know who.  "Hey Josh!" I hear James yell from downstairs. "Take a look at this." I kiss Megan's forehead and quietly walk downstairs.

  "What is it?" I ask going into the kitchen. I see James hovering over the trash can. I walk over and see two notes and a rope. I pick them out and read them. "Whoever is hurting our friend is going to pay," I say angrily and throwing the stuff back in the trash. "She doesn't deserve to be treated this way. She's gone through enough already with Zack and Jesse." I sit on one of the chairs and run my hands through my hair. "Josh, relax," James says patting my back. "How can I relax? She is my best friend and I care for her well being. If she isn't the happy go lucky Megan I fell in love with then what am I supposed to do." I freeze for a moment and look at James. I see the expression with wide eyes, shock. "You like Megan don't you?" he asks looking at me and sitting I next to me. "Of course I do," I say looking over at him. "She's my best friend." James chuckles a bit. "That's not what your face showed when you were watching her sleep and carrying her upstairs. You think of her more than just a best friend." I sigh and nod. "Ugh you're right James," I say looking at the kitchen door. "I love her, but I'm sure she doesn't love me the way I love her." "You don't know until you try." I look over at him and smile. "You are a heck of a guy aren't you," I say punching his shoulder slightly. "I know," he says standing up, "now let's help your new girlfriend stop these horrible shit that's happening to her." I nod and stand up. I take out the notes once more and look at them carefully.

  After a few hours, James and I have thought of nothing. "Bro, I don't think we can do this alone," he says in defeat. "James we have to try harder," I say sternly. "Who knows Megan's address and knows that she likes Zac?" We both freeze and think. "There are so many," James says in exasperation. "There's Christian, Me, You, Jesse, Zoe, Zack, Erica, Luna-" "Freeze," I say stopping him from saying any other names. "Did you say Jesse?" He nods. "Ugh, no it can't be her. She's Megan's friend." "But she's also Zack's girlfriend." I nod and look at the notes. "We can't just go to her and ask her if she is hurting Megan, she will obviously say no." "We'll take it step by step Josh," James says walking up to me and patting my back. "Let's get her meds and continue tomorrow." I nod and walk towards the door. As I open the door, I see an envelope with Megan's name one it. It has the same layout as the package in the trash can. I close the door and bring it in. "Megan has another package."

  I carry the envelope to the living room and sit down. I open it up as James sits next to me. I notice a note first. I read it aloud, "You are so kind to help Megan out, but this is her battle. Once she wakes up, give her the next note in this envelope." James takes out the next note and reads it aloud. "Megan, you are suck a clutz aren't you. I think you need to work on walking again. Oh wait, you can't walk! I think you might want something to keep your mind off of that." I take out the object and it is a tshirt with Megan in a wheelchair and words around it saying. "I can't walk! I'm such a clutz" I start to get angry and tear the shirt apart. "Woah, Josh relax," James says looking at me. "We need Zoe here and quick."